JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so Ive been told that the 38 shell can be fired through the 357? Is this only in a revolver? Are their any other calibers that can be swapped like this?

Ok so Ive been told that the 38 shell can be fired through the 357? Is this only in a revolver? Are their any other calibers that can be swapped like this?

Just confirming what others above have already said - I have a Ruger SP101 chambered in .357mag - my wife routinely shoots .38 special with no issues. Just be aware, if you purchase a revolver, make sure it's chambered in .357mag, then you're good to go.

Yes, a .357 Sig. The .357 Sig is basically a necked down .40 cal that was designed by Sig specifically for a semi auto pistol while a .357 mag is an extended case .38 special with more powder and more power for a revolver. They ARE NOT interchangeable.

One thing to note, while shooting 38 special in a 357 is common, if you do it all the time, you will build up a a ring of carbon inside the cylinder at the case mouth area of the 38 special which unless you clean frequently will hinder being able to chamber a 357 cartridge.... not that I have ever had that happen :rolleyes:

Lest we forget, the .44 Special can be used in the .44 Magnum revolvers.

The important thing to remember, is you can always use the older, less powerful, cartridge in the chamber made for the new, powerful, cartridge. YOU CAN'T EVER, EVER, EVER, reverse the concept. Unless your pistol is made for the powerful load, you're going to end up missing a piece of your body or even killing yourself or a bystander, let along destroying the weapon.

blowup.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads