Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.38 VS 357 mag confusion?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Mikej, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Looking at bullets for reloading online. I see bullets labled as ".38 Special (.357 dia.) 158gr SJSP". I see on the same page for two dollars less "357 magnum (.357 dia.) 158gr SJSP". Bullets are Magtech BTW.

I know what SJSP means, but I didn't think there was a difference in .38 special and 357 magnum jacketed bullets?

In cast I could see you wanting a harder cast bullet for a magnum load.

Mike

2. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone in the Marketing Department wanted to use the sexy term Magnum. Unless there is some difference in jacket height in the semi jacketed bullet, there is no difference that I could imagine.

For the two buck difference, buy the "magnums". Your 38 won't know the difference.

3. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Same bullet. The differnce is the lenght of the case, the powder charge and therefor the OAL

4. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Thanks guys......That is pretty much what I expected. I was looking at some bullets for sale on the forum that were labled .38 Special. The Magtech website showing BOTH kinds with slightly different prices?? In the bullet specs, sectional density and balistic coeficient were identicle between the two.
    Silly.

Mike