JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Loading M855, 62g .556 with CFE223 and
BL-C(2)
Accuracy is nearly identical in the 2 loads I have selected.
BL-C (2) Velocity reads
CFE223 Velocity reads

One thing I don't know about these powders is temperature sensitivity. Does anyone have any experience that would help me decide on what powder to use? Right now I'm leaning towards BL-C (2) because velocity was faster and more consistent

I have limited experience with those two powders, being primarily a Ramshot TAC guy. But I did a cold weather comparison between TAC, X-Terminator and Hodgdon's Benchmark powder in .223 Rem and 40 gr bullets. Out of a 26" Remington 700 1 in 12" twist barrel, all 3 powders with close to maximum charges achieved 3600 to 3700 fps at over 70 degrees. At 30 degrees, only the Benchmark load was able to top 3600 fps, while the two ball powders barely broke 3300 fps. I had always thought that Hodgdon's "Extreme" line of powders were more marketing than actual, but clearly the ball powders like BL-C2 and CFE-223 are more affected by cold temperatures than the extruded stick powders. I will try to do a similar test with my AR's if the weather will cooperate with heavier bullets and shorter barrels and see if results are similar. FWIW, I tried both of your powders and had much better results with TAC, Benchmark, and Accurate 2015 in .223.
What was your barrel length with your loads? Those velocity numbers are pretty impressive for a 62 gr bullet.

I have limited experience with those two powders, being primarily a Ramshot TAC guy. But I did a cold weather comparison between TAC, X-Terminator and Hodgdon's Benchmark powder in .223 Rem and 40 gr bullets. Out of a 26" Remington 700 1 in 12" twist barrel, all 3 powders with close to maximum charges achieved 3600 to 3700 fps at over 70 degrees. At 30 degrees, only the Benchmark load was able to top 3600 fps, while the two ball powders barely broke 3300 fps. I had always thought that Hodgdon's "Extreme" line of powders were more marketing than actual, but clearly the ball powders like BL-C2 and CFE-223 are more affected by cold temperatures than the extruded stick powders. I will try to do a similar test with my AR's if the weather will cooperate with heavier bullets and shorter barrels and see if results are similar. FWIW, I tried both of your powders and had much better results with TAC, Benchmark, and Accurate 2015 in .223.
What was your barrel length with your loads? Those velocity numbers are pretty impressive for a 62 gr bullet.
18" barrel. I'm using a Caldwell crono so I'm not sure how accurate it is. I really only trust the spread more than the overall velocity. I use a lot of tac also in 308 and 338 federal but have read tac is temp sensitive as well. I have an outdoor reloading room so I can keep ammo around 75-80 degrees then my bench is on the porch I'll have to throw these shells in the freezer next and then try them

18" barrel. I'm using a Caldwell crono so I'm not sure how accurate it is.
I tested my Caldwell against my Magnetospeed last summer, used the both at the same time. The largest deviation I got was 38fps.
I trust the Caldwell and still use it though the MS is more convenient at a private range.

BL(C)-2 is more of a standard medium powder where as CFE223 is designed more for rifles that are firing FMJs or Mono/Solid bullets (copper fouling eraser=CFE)mostly semi-autos, it's also a cleaner burn from what I've seen.

It's the temp sensitivity I'm curious about
Attached is a chart I found, not sure of the source, but it definitely indicates CFE-223 as one of the most temperature sensitive powders available. Almost twice as sensitive as TAC. Unfortunately, they don't list a number for BLC-2, but I would wager that it would be close to W-748, which is rated better than CFE-223, but not as good as TAC. You can also see the "stars" of the temperature sensitivity race, Varget, H-4895, H-4350 and IMR-8208XBR.

41F8C11C-4730-42F3-8237-B85A61E803E2.jpeg

Loading M855, 62g .556 with CFE223 and
BL-C(2)
Accuracy is nearly identical in the 2 loads I have selected.
BL-C (2) Velocity reads
CFE223 Velocity reads

One thing I don't know about these powders is temperature sensitivity. Does anyone have any experience that would help me decide on what powder to use? Right now I'm leaning towards BL-C (2) because velocity was faster and more consistent

Great thanks I haven't gotten those speeds and was worried about over loading thanks for getting back
I keep my room 75degrees. I load the rounds in the mag then step onto the deck which is where my shooting bench is at. Temp outside was 45 deg and the rounds are spent under a minute. I have not tested these on a good hot day yet

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top