JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I went and bought another wheel gun....in 38s&w. That said I was wondering in any of you guys have had experience with this cartridge.

Mainly have questions about the Dies and bullet selection.

What does are you using? I've heard Lee makes a specific carbide set but the expander has issues actually belling the case enough to drop a proper .361-362 into it.

I've also heard you can use 38super dies...not too certain about this info, but it is oft repeated.

For pre-made bullets I see the Missouri bullet co. makes some LRN 145 in the proper diameter. I've also heard a soft HBWC in .358 work as it will swell to the rifling.

I'm pretty sure back in the day I used a combo of my available dies to get good loads with, coke bottle tight and accurate. Had 9mm, .38 and .380. I used the Lyman 133gr swc and Red Dot.

I'm pretty sure nack in the day I used a combo of my available dies to get good loads with, coke bottle tight and accurate. Had 9mm, .38 and .380. I used the Lyman 133gr swc and Red Dot.

Looks like I was going to end up with a pound of red dot all along :D.

I had also heard that some guys were using a mixed set of dies, I do actually have two of those sets (9 & 38) So that does leave it as an option.

I've also toyed around with the idea of making a few true black powder cartridges, but that's more just a fancy of mine

I extremely excited to shoot this gun...unfortunately I live in communist Washington and my "10" day wait won't start until the pistol arives which should be Monday.

Looks like I was going to end up with a pound of red dot all along :D.

I had also heard that some guys were using a mixed set of dies, I do actually have two of those sets (9 & 38) So that does leave it as an option.

I've also toyed around with the idea of making a few true black powder cartridges, but that's more just a fancy of mine

I extremely excited to shoot this gun...unfortunately I live in communist Washington and my "10" day wait won't start until the pistol arives which should be Monday.
Also, if you cast, measure them.. it's surprising how fat some bullets come out. And slug that gun too!

Some old sw38 guns were made before smokeless powder and might not survive the pressure .if its a oldie it would be worth making sure its safe for smokeless.
I bought the set of lee dies .but have not used them yet.

Last Edited:
Will a swaged hollow base wad cutter, .358, expand enough to fill the lands & grooves? Its worth a try, but the short case means less powder. 2.0 grains of RedDot comes to mind.
Try & report.

That's going to be one of the loads I wish to develop, seems most folks seat the HBWC shallow and leave the OAL long.....still not a ton of room for powder, will hopefully make a good short range varmint load.

I use lee dies and the 145gr Missouri bullets for the loads I make. There is a Colt .38 super police (not a 38 Super Automatic) that uses a 200gr bullet. It duplicates the British .380/200 load for the Webley and I would guess your Enfield. .361 is the corect bullet dia for both. If you do an online search you'll find data for the .357-358 dia bullets. if you use the corect bullets the Lee dies work fine, if you use the smaller diameter bullets that is where you need to mix and match the different dies to get good neck tension, flare, and crimp. Besides the bullet Dia difference the cases are bigger around for the 38 S&W when compared to the 38 Special.

I use lee dies and the 145gr Missouri bullets for the loads I make. There is a Colt .38 super police (not a 38 Super Automatic) that uses a 200gr bullet. It duplicates the British .380/200 load for the Webley and I would guess your Enfield. .361 is the corect bullet dia for both. If you do an online search you'll find data for the .357-358 dia bullets. if you use the corect bullets the Lee dies work fine, if you use the smaller diameter bullets that is where you need to mix and match the different dies to get good neck tension, flare, and crimp. Besides the bullet Dia difference the cases are bigger around for the 38 S&W when compared to the 38 Special.

Thank you for the information! That is truly helpful...loading for this is going to be nearly a necessity as the only local place in stock wants $40 for a box.

This whole endeavor will probably lead me into casting my own...As I have a bunch of lead, I would love to see a 200gn flat nose, or a SWC in proper diameter.

I have an old Iver Johnson top break.
PPU makes 38 S&W rounds pretty cheap and are a close match to original loading.
I pull the bullets, dump the powder, and refill with black powder.
If your gun can handle modern powder, shoot as is.
Being in Tacoma, Muzzle Loader Supplies on River Road sells real black powder.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads