JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Error
Reviews are disabled for this resource because it is temporarily closed.
Ask question Discuss resource
Good link to save and reference, @sava6e , thanks. Gives info on what's going on throughout the forest.

Click on the link that says ALL Forest Recreation Sites CLOSED and it describes what's closed.... "all Mt. Hood National Forest campgrounds, day-use sites, trailheads, Sno-Parks, cabin rentals and other developed recreation sites will be temporarily closed." Key work here being 'developed'. Dispersed shooting sites are not developed recreation sites. Neither is the 36 pit or any other pit in Mt Hood Nat Forest.

Some things to consider about going out during this time...
  • If you should need emergency service, First Responders are few and far between or flat out not available.
  • There won't even be regular foresters or rangers out and about.
  • Law Enforcement has more priority needs elsewhere and I don't expect them to do normal patrols (which means there most likely won't be any security out there).
  • No, to limited, cell phone signals.
  • If you have an emergency... well, we wish you well and hope you make it. If your emergency requires hospitalization, won't you feel bad that you are taking up a bed that someone else really needs? (Same if a vehicle accident on the way to & from).

Be safe, pack extra emergency stuff, don't go it alone and watch your back, if you go out.

Good link to save and reference, @sava6e , thanks. Gives info on what's going on throughout the forest.

Click on the link that says ALL Forest Recreation Sites CLOSED and it describes what's closed.... "all Mt. Hood National Forest campgrounds, day-use sites, trailheads, Sno-Parks, cabin rentals and other developed recreation sites will be temporarily closed." Key work here being 'developed'. Dispersed shooting sites are not developed recreation sites. Neither is the 36 pit or any other pit in Mt Hood Nat Forest.

Some things to consider about going out during this time...
  • If you should need emergency service, First Responders are few and far between or flat out not available.
  • There won't even be regular foresters or rangers out and about.
  • Law Enforcement has more priority needs elsewhere and I don't expect them to do normal patrols (which means there most likely won't be any security out there).
  • No, to limited, cell phone signals.
  • If you have an emergency... well, we wish you well and hope you make it. If your emergency requires hospitalization, won't you feel bad that you are taking up a bed that someone else really needs? (Same if a vehicle accident on the way to & from).

Be safe, pack extra emergency stuff, don't go it alone and watch your back, if you go out.

Thank you Cogs, that's super helpful information. Currently trying to weigh my options if its worth it to go out there today or tomorrow under those circumstances!

Thank you Cogs, that's super helpful information. Currently trying to weigh my options if its worth it to go out there today or tomorrow under those circumstances!

please let me know if you end up going. I would be interested in joining. I am pretty new to firearms and want to try my new AR15.... i can also go to the place just off hwy 26
thanks!

You can just about bet that that place will have more than a few people there.
P36 is not a good place for a rifle unless you are there alone, even then you can't really get much distance in.
If there is a bunch of people there you will be lucky to get 10 yds.

Northfork or Browns camp on the west side. The St Helens area has the rock pit on Pittsburg road.
East side has a few spots, Oz pit and another spot in that area.

You can just about bet that that place will have more than a few people there.
P36 is not a good place for a rifle unless you are there alone, even then you can't really get much distance in.
If there is a bunch of people there you will be lucky to get 10 yds.

Northfork or Browns camp on the west side. The St Helens area has the rock pit on Pittsburg road.
East side has a few spots, Oz pit and another spot in that area.

Yeah, I was worried about that. I am really just sighting in a 10.5 AR pistol so don't need a lot of range.

No. Just stay on the road.
Keep in mind that it is way off the beaten path and I never see anyone else up there.
I always bring someone else just in case something stupid happens.

On the way up.
36qJmbhl.jpg
The area just left of the marked spot is a large gravel pit, it was good for 50 yds the last time I was up.
My buddy from work has a gong set up for 600 yds somewhere around there but I haven't found it yet, I bring my own anyway.
I was going to go today as I have some stuff I want to zero but it's my only day off and I like to get up and be out there at first light.
3 hr round trip for me so I stay for quite a while.

So to all who are curious what it was like up there yesterday: we went to 36 Pit and their were 4 cars and what looked like a decent group of people up there blasting away, but I had a couple first time shooters with me and wanted to be able to show them the ropes in a calmer environment. I talked to a dude who was gearing up and he was super cool and welcoming to us, said that the crowd that was there was actually not a huge crowd for that spot. but we ended up driving up the road a little further and finding some public land up in the mountains to shoot. I definitely will be going back to that spot though, it seemed cool and I need more outdoor spots that aren't North Fork Wolf Creek (as much as I love it there).

please let me know if you end up going. I would be interested in joining. I am pretty new to firearms and want to try my new AR15.... i can also go to the place just off hwy 26
thanks!

Hey man sorry i didn't see this! Would have definitely welcomed you to join had I seen your message. I would love to get together sometime to go shoot as I too will have an AR15 pretty soon here as I'm currently building one. Although now my problem is 5.56/.223 ammo due to the supply shortage... I have none.

But hey I'll try to give you a holler at some point and we'll see if we can meet up and shoot our AR's!

7145056629583610688.jpg

Last Edited:
So to all who are curious what it was like up there yesterday: we went to 36 Pit and their were 4 cars and what looked like a decent group of people up there blasting away, but I had a couple first time shooters with me and wanted to be able to show them the ropes in a calmer environment. I talked to a dude who was gearing up and he was super cool and welcoming to us, said that the crowd that was there was actually not a huge crowd for that spot. but we ended up driving up the road a little further and finding some public land up in the mountains to shoot. I definitely will be going back to that spot though, it seemed cool and I need more outdoor spots that aren't North Fork Wolf Creek (as much as I love it there).

Hey man sorry i didn't see this! Would have definitely welcomed you to join had I seen your message. I would love to get together sometime to go shoot as I too will have an AR15 pretty soon here as I'm currently building one. Although now my problem is 5.56/.223 ammo due to the supply shortage... I have none.

But hey I'll try to give you a holler at some point and we'll see if we can meet up and shoot our AR's!

I found plenty of ammo in many stores on West side of PDX and Tigard....so that should not be an issue anymore.

I ended up going today. It was pretty good. we had a few showers, but nothing terrible. Managed to get into lane 4 as all others were full. Another couple joined us there. They had a 50 caliber gun....what a beast!
My Ar15 did great....love it.

I found plenty of ammo in many stores on West side of PDX and Tigard....so that should not be an issue anymore.

I ended up going today. It was pretty good. we had a few showers, but nothing terrible. Managed to get into lane 4 as all others were full. Another couple joined us there. They had a 50 caliber gun....what a beast!
My Ar15 did great....love it.

That is awesome news all around!

Anyone heading out there today? I'm a relatively new shooter and want to put some rounds through my Glock 29 and my new AR-15.

Edit: Well looking at the map this looks pretty straightforward getting there and using the area. Gonna go build a target stand real quick, then grab some trash bags and head out there.

Last Edited:
Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.