JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have 50 pieces of 35 S&W Auto ammunition. The headstamp is marked Peters .35 S&W. They are loaded, but they could be reloads, since the cases are brass and the primers nickel, stainless, or whatever. Does anyone have any Idea what these would be worth?

It is likely very old ammo, as I recall the gun that fired the .35 cal ammo would also use a dif commonly sold size as well,
but the .35 allowed the S&W company to trick ammo buyers into thinking that they needed that particular type.

I looked online, the same gun that fired the .35 cal ammo also used .32 acp interchangeably
it was made around 1912 (the gun)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.35_S&W_Auto

You need an ammo collector to gauge the value, does the ammo come with the original box?

I usually take this kinda stuff to a gun show & get prices from several dif ammo collectors there

From what I've read, they quit loading factory .35 S&W ammunition around WWII, and the pics I've seen have the "U" stamp in the primer.
The .32 ACP would fire in the handguns, and probably work just fine, but there were a few thousandths difference in some of the dimensions.
Easy enough to do a search and get some info, yes, the cartridge IS a ".35 S&W."

WAAAAAY back in the day, they would often determine cartridge specification based on cartridge diameter, that's why we get anachronisms like ".38 SPL", when the bullet is actually .357.

Generally, old cartridges might have some value to someone, but you're best off trying the cartridge collector boards. Most people I know who collect cartridges (myself included) tend to collect a certain era, type or set.

Personally, I collect 9mm military cartridges, as there was a significant level of innovation with this cartridge from WWI on. It's been used by nearly every country out there, it served on both sides of WWII, and is a popular test-bed for bullet development for militaries the world over.

From what I've read, they quit loading factory .35 S&W ammunition around WWII, and the pics I've seen have the "U" stamp in the primer.
The .32 ACP would fire in the handguns, and probably work just fine, but there were a few thousandths difference in some of the dimensions.
Easy enough to do a search and get some info, yes, the cartridge IS a ".35 S&W."

Actually Wickipedia says that the .35 S&W bullet really measures .32, which is what I recall reading about this funny caliber.
In fact from what I remember this was one early example of a gun manufacturer trying to trick their clients into buying a thing
they really didn't need, as the .32 acp colt ammo fit this gun also.

It was/is an interesting cartridge, I found this on a S&W site:

"The bullet diameter is 0.309", the same as the .32 ACP. The nominal case length and diameter are, respectively 0.670" and 0.346" as compared to 0.680" and 0.336" for the .32 ACP. Ballistically, they are very close. Due to the very minor dimensional differences, if the .32 ACP cartridge chambers, it should be fine to shoot in the .35 S&W."

Ammoguide says the .35 S&W used a .311" bullet, while the .32 ACP used a .312", the above case mouth dimensions are close, .35 S&W case mouth is .345" while the .32 ACP is .3365", OAL case length is .675" for the .35 S&W and .680" for the .32 ACP, the "rim" diameter of the .35 S&W is .348" while the .32 ACP is .358. (this .010" difference might be the only problem in chambering a .32ACP in a .35 S&W, other than the .005" longer .32 ACP case.

A good part of the collector value lies in the box. Do you have the box for this ammo and is it in good shape?

I'd be interested to know what the primers look like, also.

If they are modern silver looking ones, and not the old rounded, brass colored type with a stamped "U" in them, I'd be concerned that they were reloads.

Also, the old bullets used a cupro/nickel jacket base cup, with a round nosed lead bullet, according to the S&W site I visited.

Sorry guys I just got the first notice that I had a response on this thread. I just quickly read through the responses, and thank you for all of the input. I double and triple checked and they are Peters .35 S&W. I stated in the Thread that they were very likely reloads. Now that I have read through the comments I am certain they are. I will try to get a decent pic of the headstamp. I don't have the box and they are basically just cases. That being said I know they are not super valuable. I did do some research and found out that they haven't made these cases for about 70 years. So I thought they may still have some value.

Thanks David

And as I read through the replies more carefully I will try to answer questions that I have not covered.

Ok I was able to get a good photo of the the headstamp, so here it is.
Thanks Again

35SampW.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews