JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My only hunting rifle left on the rack is the Remington 700 left hand with a Bell & Carlson stock. It came with 200 new brass. Last year I removed the Leupold 1.5 x 5 x 20 and mounted a Leupold 4.5 x 14 x 40. I cannot get it to shoot light bullets but 225 's get tight groups at 100 yards. This rifle is a blast to shoot at 600 yards. I had a Remington 700 .338 Ultra mag but could never get decent groups. It was stainless and I added a black ti finish. It was the only 700 that I could not get to shoot well.

I am a fan of the 338. Its a little more recoil than most people can shoot well, but it is awesome for thise that can use it effectively. Its not a super fast cartridge and damages very little meat. Its a very versatile cartridge for anyone who hunts larger animals regularly. I used it mostly in the timber with a 250gr bullets for elk. With lighter bullets, it shoots plenty flat to hunt mule deer. Before going a different direction, I had contemplated using 200gr barnes TSXs as a do-it-all load.

I have a Winnie M70 Extreme weather in 338 WM.
I find mine OK, meaning it shoots 1MOA or better when I do my part, doesn't kick hard and is a pleasure to shoot. I say "do my part" because some days I cannot shoot for bird doo doo. Other, less common, days I'm making clovers. I shoot both 225 and 250 grainers through it, and it seems to give tighter groups with the slower 250s. I know when I carry it, it will be plenty for anything I'm aiming at. However, for the coastal range the 26" barrel is too long. At about 8.5# with glass, it's light to carry.
The reason why I find it "OK" is because the last time I had it out, two years ago, it seemed I was snagging on everything. Last year I took a 18" 7mm-08, and I think I will stick with that one going forward. At just a skosh over 7#, that one is ideal for scrambling up and down coastal ridges.
Shooting the 7-08 last week, I was 1.5 MOA over 5 shots, which is good my me.
Between the two, the 338 pushes harder, but not by much.
So it sits in the back of a very crowded safe - I was thinking on selling it to free up some room.

I'm a fan and shot one until I developed arthritis in my shoulder. I had a Win Model 70 and loved it. I thought it had less felt recoil than the 300 Win Mag. That is, the 300 was sharp versus the "shove" of the 338.

I found my Model 70 (before I sold it) shot 225s extremely well and 250s pretty darn good. Never tried it with 200s because I figured that if I was ever shooting it, it would be at big game (elk, bear) so the heavier bullets would be appropriate. For me, 225s and IMR 4350 were the winning combination.

Well I applaud both of you guys for choosing the Winchester Model 70. A true field rifle built to take back country abuse. Sometimes rifles and calibers just match. Another example would be the Model 70 with the 35 Whelan. I always felt my previous Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag an appropriate match. I decided to keep my 338. I take it varmint hunting to dispell mid afternoon boredom.

Well I applaud both of you guys for choosing the Winchester Model 70. A true field rifle built to take back country abuse. Sometimes rifles and calibers just match. Another example would be the Model 70 with the 35 Whelan. I always felt my previous Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag an appropriate match. I decided to keep my 338. I take it varmint hunting to dispell mid afternoon boredom.
You take your 338 varmint hunting??

Just picked up a Model 70 in .338 Win Mag a few weeks back. First range trip it shot 225gr combined technologies Accubonds well. between 1 inch and 1.5 inches for 4 different 3 shot groups. Should kill elk just fine.

I have had several 338 win mags and passed them on because they were more gun then I needed. I like the 338 win mag but personally haven't hunted anything that required it. I now use a 338-06. It suits my needs better.

I have had several 338 win mags and passed them on because they were more gun then I needed. I like the 338 win mag but personally haven't hunted anything that required it. I now use a 338-06. It suits my needs better.
Is there factory ammo/brass that's pretty available for .338-06? I have a 30-06 Model 70 that I want to neck up to either a .35 Whelen or .338-06.

I have an older model 70 in .338 but the one I use the most is my BAR in .338. I love the BAR's. They fit me well and I do well with them.

I now use a 338-06. It suits my needs better.

OOOH! DO TELL!! My uncle has the hots for one after reading the specs in his reloading manual. Looks interesting but I know nothing about it.

I reload my own pretty simple to do using 30-06. I have never scene factory 338-06 ammunition
How did you resize the brass? I have thought about the 35 Whelan or the 338-06. But I will admit to driving to Wyoming to hunt antelope and forgetting my ammo on the kitchen table. I had two rifles with me; 30-06 and 257 Roberts. I'm sure you can guess which one I found ammo for.

I use new brass to form initially just using the sizer die. By the way my other rifle is 9.3×62
Yes you had better not forget your ammo with these two.

How did you resize the brass? I have thought about the 35 Whelan or the 338-06. But I will admit to driving to Wyoming to hunt antelope and forgetting my ammo on the kitchen table. I had two rifles with me; 30-06 and 257 Roberts. I'm sure you can guess which one I found ammo for.
I would have a 257 Roberts if I did not have my custom 25-06. I am a fan of the bob.

I have an original c type fn commercial mauser action I have thought about rebarreling to build a bob on right now it's a 7x57. I have two 7x57 is the reaon i have given thought to the rebarreling.

I'm a fan of the 338wm. Always have been and probably always will be. My winchester model 70 semi custom (rifle in my avatar), built on a pre 64 model 70 H&H action, is a joy to shoot. Even though it weighs in at 7 pounds (8 pounds all up)..... 4 rounds in the mag box, CRF, sub MOA. 5 shot groups, what more could a guy ask for?

Yes varmint hunting involves shooting .338 Win Mag. Last time I used it on 500 yard blackbirds. Range shooting is great but field shooting is better. I have also never bought any factory ammo.

I reload my own pretty simple to do using 30-06. I have never scene factory 338-06 ammunition
I like the 338-06 but have never shot one. A standard action packs better in the woods. There are long stretches where the rifle is carried one handed with the sling detached. Also silently when the hunting knife is also in the pack not knocking on your stock. What is considered an optimal barrel length.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top