JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I need to mount up a new scope (30mm) in about 2-3 weeks. I'll need to lap whatever rings I buy as well. Anyone in town willing to let me borrow their lapping kit for a few minutes for say $10?

Failing that, I guess I can always buy one online, but figured I'd go the cheap route first.

Most all modern quality rings do not need to be lapped. What brand are you buying?

I was just about to say the same thing. Also, what kind of mount? Two piece Weaver style? One piece Dovetail w/windage? 1913 Rail?

With a good set of modern rings on a Picatinny rail, no lapping required and in most cases the manufacturer will caution against lapping.

If your scope is of good quality, don't shortchange it by using a pair of $20 rings. Get some good ones. It will be worth it in the long run.

Warne 601M rings. I've just always lapped after mounting given that you've got rings + base + scope tube all contributing to slight misalignment.

Warne 601M rings. I've just always lapped after mounting given that you've got rings + base + scope tube all contributing to slight misalignment.

Every "industry" has it's adherents to the old methods. Mostly "just because that's the way I've always done it".

Scope ring lapping became a pretty much obsolete practice once the Rifle manufacturers started drilling receivers for scope mounts. Tighter tolerances were kept than the old "Drill Press on a military surplus receiver" methods that often left scope rings far from even close.

Manufacturing tolerances are extremely close today and any perceived gain by lapping is often offset by reduced grip on the scope tube itself resulting in scope movement under recoil.

I'd be more inclined to lap a set of rings from some "Off Brand" import company than any of the quality rings available today. I recently installed a Night Force NXS scope on my favorite rifle using NightForce Rail and Rings. When I checked them with Prussian Blue they were in perfect alignment with a nice even "marking" of the scope tube.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top