Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.308 or .30-06 ?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by usmc, Oct 27, 2010.

1. usmc

usmc oregon Active Member

the 308 will do everything an 30-06 will do within 100 fps.uses less powder, is inherently more accurate,is somewhat lighter, and cheaper.Don't get me wrong, i love them both, but when it comes to shooting often i can shoot for half the price.

2. mh34444

mh34444 Sherwood Member

Oh come on, these threads are supposed to be started with a question, followed by many weeks of heated debate in which no reasonable conclusion can be determined.

:worship:

I love the 308. I can't comment on the 30-06 since I don't shoot it, but the 308 does everything I want it to do.

3. NoOne

NoOne Puget Sound Active Member

Both are great. What is the question or point or conclusion you are looking for?

4. smurf hunter

smurf hunter Auburn, WA Active Member

Which is more American? :p

5. mh34444

mh34444 Sherwood Member

It was a joke. If only all threads started with factual and supporting information. Not the dreaded "which is better X or Y" all encompassing post that ends up 20 pages deep.

6. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Which is better, .308 or Fried Chicken?

7. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

fried chicken!!!!

seriously 30/06 is my choice, accuracy is equal to the 308, the ability to shoot a very wide variety of factory loads is a great option. Having the option of using heavier bullets and the ability to find ammo almost anywhere in the world seals it for me.

if ammo cost is your main concern, try bow hunting, or pointy sticks and rocks

8. Jerry

Jerry Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

What's the deal?

The fact is unrefutable that the .30-06 is far superior in every way to the

There really is no point in even discussing the matter.

9. Jerry

Jerry Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Fried Chicken, of course!

10. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

i like the 30.06 for that little extra umph for elk. The .308 can do it but the 30.06 is a little better

30.06 goes to 11

I use .308 for deer though

11. NoOne

NoOne Puget Sound Active Member

I think both are great cartridges. Like so many other things it depends on what you want to do with it. For scrounging ammo worldwide, the 308 would be better because it is a NATO round. I think the 30-06 with a 1-10 twist has more versatility for hunting because you can use a greater variety of bullets.

In rifles prepared equally the 308 has been shown to have a slight accuracy advantage. But I think that 95% of the people on this forum can't shoot good enough to be able to tell the difference. The difference is so slight that I think only a good bench rest shooter would really notice it much. For field shooting the difference is of no practical advantage.

Both are fabulous cartridges. If I had to choose between a Garand and an M14.M1A, I would take the Garand just because I like it better. I have owned, and competed with both. I have won lots more matches with the M1A but I just like the way the Garand handles and shoots better than the M14/M1A. I wouldn't feel undergunned with either one.

12. snew

snew Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Deer are tougher today than they were 50 years ago. You WILL need that 100fps IF you can even hit one. Are you sure you don't want a magnum cartridge? It's the only way to be sure.

13. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

One or more of each thank you.

14. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

The 30-06 really shines with heavier bullets and handloading. I'm running 200-210 grain bullets close to 2800fps.

There is plenty of cheap ammo available in both calibers. If cheap is your biggest concern..... a .22lr is better than both of them.

15. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

I go for Price Versus Power.
    If the .308 can do an adequate job then why not?
    Its half the price of current market .30-06 and a little more readily available than much of the .30-06 on the market today.

16. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

well if its just for target practice and not hunting by all means the .308 hands down all the way.

17. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Gosh, this is silly. Why don't we throw in the .270? Or the 7Mag? Or better yet we'll stay with .308 bore and debate the merits of the .300WM!

18. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

Settling the age-old "308 vs 30-06" debate once and for all:

rpg7a6dm.jpg

19. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

Get what feeds the EBR's, they're hungry!!!

20. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member