JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
the 308 will do everything an 30-06 will do within 100 fps.uses less powder, is inherently more accurate,is somewhat lighter, and cheaper.Don't get me wrong, i love them both, but when it comes to shooting often i can shoot for half the price.

Oh come on, these threads are supposed to be started with a question, followed by many weeks of heated debate in which no reasonable conclusion can be determined.

:s0152:

I love the 308. I can't comment on the 30-06 since I don't shoot it, but the 308 does everything I want it to do.

fried chicken!!!!

seriously 30/06 is my choice, accuracy is equal to the 308, the ability to shoot a very wide variety of factory loads is a great option. Having the option of using heavier bullets and the ability to find ammo almost anywhere in the world seals it for me.

if ammo cost is your main concern, try bow hunting, or pointy sticks and rocks

What's the deal?

The fact is unrefutable that the .30-06 is far superior in every way to the

There really is no point in even discussing the matter.

i like the 30.06 for that little extra umph for elk. The .308 can do it but the 30.06 is a little better

30.06 goes to 11

I use .308 for deer though

I think both are great cartridges. Like so many other things it depends on what you want to do with it. For scrounging ammo worldwide, the 308 would be better because it is a NATO round. I think the 30-06 with a 1-10 twist has more versatility for hunting because you can use a greater variety of bullets.

In rifles prepared equally the 308 has been shown to have a slight accuracy advantage. But I think that 95% of the people on this forum can't shoot good enough to be able to tell the difference. The difference is so slight that I think only a good bench rest shooter would really notice it much. For field shooting the difference is of no practical advantage.

Both are fabulous cartridges. If I had to choose between a Garand and an M14.M1A, I would take the Garand just because I like it better. I have owned, and competed with both. I have won lots more matches with the M1A but I just like the way the Garand handles and shoots better than the M14/M1A. I wouldn't feel undergunned with either one.

Deer are tougher today than they were 50 years ago. You WILL need that 100fps IF you can even hit one. Are you sure you don't want a magnum cartridge? It's the only way to be sure.

The 30-06 really shines with heavier bullets and handloading. I'm running 200-210 grain bullets close to 2800fps.

There is plenty of cheap ammo available in both calibers. If cheap is your biggest concern..... a .22lr is better than both of them.

I go for Price Versus Power.
If the .308 can do an adequate job then why not?
Its half the price of current market .30-06 and a little more readily available than much of the .30-06 on the market today.

Settling the age-old "308 vs 30-06" debate once and for all:

rpg7a6dm.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews