JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
6.5 Grendel 120 GR Sierra mk1081fps....312 ft lbs energy

300 win. 190 GR Sierra mk. 1440 FPS. 875 ft lbs energy......

Not even close. The 6.5 grendelis barely supersonic, and you never spot the impact....300 win is like King Kong out at 1000.... greasy easy.

i own both a grendel and 300wm. i like'm both!
I'm looking into getting into long range game and I have two friends one has a Grendel and swears by it, and then I have another friend who has a 300win mag and he swears by it also. But I'm glad there's a forum like this so I can ask these type of questions as a newbie.

I'm looking into getting into long range game and I have two friends one has a Grendel and swears by it, and then I have another friend who has a 300win mag and he swears by it also. But I'm glad there's a forum like this so I can ask these type of questions as a newbie.
it depends. theres ways to manage 300wm recoil while 6.5 grendel barely recoils. for me 6.5 is cheaper to reload. i use my 300wm for elk if i am not using a bow and arrow.

Welcome! And yeah, two completely different calibers that aren't close enough to compare. :)

The biggest issue you'll find as a newer shooter in the LR game is recoil and the cost of ammo/components. Unless using a heavy rifle and/or a muzzle brake, the 300 Win Mag develops a level of recoil that many shooters find objectionable. The 300 Win Mag uses more powder, has shorter case life, and uses more costly bullets if you're a reloader. Factory ammo aint cheap, but its more available than 6.5 Grundle.

Maybe something in the middle that gives you some more velocity than the Grundle while not costing a bunch or kicking you into next week.

The 6.5 Creedtard makes a lot of sense. The external ballistics are superior to the Grundle, its a gentile kicker, and its not too expensive to shoot. Its a good option for the non-reloader. The 308 isn't fast, but its also capable and a great cartridge to learn with.

If you reload, the 6mm Creedtard, 6mm-284, 6x47, 243 Win, 6.5 Creedtard, 6.5-284, 260 Remington and 7mm-08 Remington all give much better performance than you'd think.

I go extra cheap. Tikka T3 with 8 twist with 68 to 75gr 223 loads. It gets out there just fine and is cheap as can be.

Or, go bigger. I'm a big 7mm Remington Magnum fan. It looks cool.

49390818-F334-480B-8045-8D8E507D023C.jpeg

The biggest issue you'll find as a newer shooter in the LR game is recoil and the cost of ammo/components. Unless using a heavy rifle and/or a muzzle brake, the 300 Win Mag develops a level of recoil that many shooters find objectionable. The 300 Win Mag uses more powder, has shorter case life, and uses more costly bullets if you're a reloader. Factory ammo aint cheap, but its more available than 6.5 Grundle.

Maybe something in the middle that gives you some more velocity than the Grundle while not costing a bunch or kicking you into next week.

The 6.5 Creedtard makes a lot of sense. The external ballistics are superior to the Grundle, its a gentile kicker, and its not too expensive to shoot. Its a good option for the non-reloader. The 308 isn't fast, but its also capable and a great cartridge to learn with.

If you reload, the 6mm Creedtard, 6mm-284, 6x47, 243 Win, 6.5 Creedtard, 6.5-284, 260 Remington and 7mm-08 Remington all give much better performance than you'd think.

I go extra cheap. Tikka T3 with 8 twist with 68 to 75gr 223 loads. It gets out there just fine and is cheap as can be.

You do have a way with words. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads