JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I posted this in a rifle build thread but thought it better in ammo/reloading.

Well I promised to share a 300BLK range report ... this could put some folks to sleep but here goes.
The goal: Develop a handload for only subsonic, suppressed with accuracy of 2 MOA for AR pistol with low cost bullets. No intention of hunting except night coyotes so energy is not important...soft recoil and quiet are priorities.
The pistol: Home built side charge upper, Andersen lower, 71/2" 1:8, SBA3, primary arms 1-6 scope. photo
Testing: April 9, TCGC, 65d, 5mph, all 50 yrds, all suppressed, Magneto Speed 3 chronograph. All 4 shot groups.
6 loads tested...3 handloads, 3 factory loads. Handloads = Fed brass, CCI 450, AA1680 Velocity and Accuracy Results:
I hesitate to share actual charge data!!! PLEASE BE CAREFUL. Loading 300BLK is not like most cartridges...most folks work charges down to a load that functions well...TOO LOW you can stick a bullet in your barrel. DOUBLE CHARGE like a pistol cartridge...disaster!

RoundBulletLoadAve VelAccuracy
Handload208 Amax11/16801033.46 wow photo
Handload208 Amax11.5/16801096.96
Handload200 Accubond 2nd11/16809981.9 kehole? photo
Handload200 Accubond 2nd11.5/168010441.2
Handload200 Berrys Plated11/16808743.9
Handload200 Berrys Plated11.5/1680934not measured, poor
Remington220 FBFactory8453.5"
Herters200 Open TipFactory1001.560 wow
Sig220 PointedFactory9971.3 3 touch
Notes, Observations, Results
  • Testing was time consuming but went well after fitting and adj sensitivity on chronograph (on suppressor)
  • All loads functioned well, all shot single shot, bolt lock back on all. Seems maybe overgassed, dirty brass as expected, ejecting to 2 o'clock, but with side charging bolt not sure what that means.
  • Several handloads obviously went supersonic...a bit surprised at high velocity from this 7 1/2" barrel.
  • Clearly the Amax load exceeds accuracy hopes, will cut back the charge. 1000 fps is prefered. photo
  • Do not understand, but looks like accubonds keyhole? Bearing surface could be too long for barrels 1:8 twist?
  • Berrys test confirms previous testing with coated and plated bullets, this barrel hates them...I give up after testing 4 diff bullets and two powders. I have shotguns that pattern better. And flaring case mouths and recrimping is a PITA anyway.
  • Remington factory velocity surprisingly low...tested before...high ES and SD ...wont group
  • Herters WOW ... who knew...maybe forget all this reloading stuff and buy this ammo.
Summary: I am happy with the build and now very close to a go to load with 208 AMAX at 1000 fps. Pleasantly surprised at how well this generic short barrel shoots these jacketed bullets. Rather not try another barrel to find accuracy with coated or plated...not sure anyone has found 2-3 MOA with costed/plated. Missed one goal for a low cost bullet.
I hope someone finds this useful. I got hooked on 300BLK this first time I shot a suppressed round. I'll put the finishing touches on the AMAX load and go find the first coyote ... maybe in the country near you? But you will never hear it.:)

631953-1a6167d5d4b101d3ffceb760f01aa509.jpg 631960-e2e4939a7382ee94514b77328ceb2c24.jpg 631961-1b53f6484a522688b8f0199c3bb5e8db.jpg 631963-7f21665acb4709540761fe9e7556d5ee.jpg

Nice. Any concerns with long term availability since Hornady has discontinued the 208 AMax?
I'm looking at trying to work something up with their Sub-X pills using the powder samples you are sending my way.

Last Edited:
Good catch...yes it figures a discontinued bullet is the one. It started when I bought some factory ammo with the 208 AMAX...shot pretty well, then pulled some of the bullets, handloaded and great results. Well I have a line on about 400-600...just waiting for a price. If I run out, I may try ELD's and would consider the Sub X for sure. What are you going to try? We can trade bullets for testing if you like.
The powder will be on the porch tomorrow...Enough to load 50 rounds of each powder.

Thanks for the writeup! Sounds like you've got a couple of winning combinations there!

Last Edited:
I'm having really good luck with the Hornady 208 grain JHPs in my Blackout..
Expensive to shoot vs 223 but that sound ..
Also looking for another backup bullet. Was hoping Berrys would be it...
Maybe not..

Yes...I paid 30 cents for the 208's I found...a decent price on a discontinued bullet, but still expensive.
Berrys will send you sample packs in case you did not know...for 200 and 220 grn. I really did not give the Berrys 200grn a fair shake, only tried the one powder, one seating depth.
Have Fun!

If you are ejecting at 2 o'clock with suppressor on you are probably fine on gas. Side charging bolt has no impact on it and should work just as a non side charging bolt. That is odd the accubonds keyholed, were they the lr version? I would encourage you to test all new loads without suppressor to check for stability first. This will prevent possible baffle strikes. It looks like you found some good combos to work with, nice job!

Thanks Osprey ... I was not sure about ejection being the same. The noslers were not LR, they were 2nd's and the worst seconds I ever saw. Tips gone or bent, bad surface blemishes. I only loaded ones that looked good. Not sure how it affected accuracy. Glad my suppressor survived it!

Ran one more test before starting some volume loading. Did not add this to the first post yet. Lowered the 1680 charge in search vel right at 1000fps.

10.5grns ave 1,001
10.7grns ave 1,014

Guess I'm done. She is soft and quiet now!!

Interesting, I had to go to 11.7 grs of 1680 to get 1000fps out of my 9" blackout with 208 amax. Different lot of powder, slight case capacity differences, different seating depth, who knows but shows why you never take someone else's load data as the gospel.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top