JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very true. I could also still ride a horse to work but there are now better options, I like my cars and trucks.

So with this ideology, should we limit our selves to one "right" rifle caliber and maybe one hand gun cali?

NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK OR WAR STARTER. I personally love the few freedoms and choices we have left, Hell I may never hunt with the same caliber two years in a row again....

The key word in my post was "need". People claim you "NEED XYZ to kill it".

I agree that the .300 (Whisper, BLK, ect) would not be my choice. But with the proper load, proper distance and the ability to make a good shot there is NO reason not to use it. I hunt with a .243 for white tail and would use my target AR it .223 was legal here. Never had a problem putting one down yet. For some reason people still thing you need mag calibers to put these things down also. Don't get me wrong I have big guns and like them.

I do know a few people that do ride horses to work. Again all depends on the situation........ I also know people that can not take a car to work since it requires air or water travel. What about people in big urban areas? Many do not own any form of personal transportation outside of their feet and maybe a bike? So again depending on the situation a "car" is not NEEDED.

I just want to use something on my AR platform for close close range bears. 300 seems to be the simplest to switch back and forth. If there's something better, by all means, let's hear it. When the need arises that I need to reach out, well, there's a Lapua for that, or an Ultramag.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

If I was building an AR-15 for in the woods hunting like this it would be one of the big bore conversions. Something like a .458 SOCOM.

Or, go up to the AR-10/308 size and go with the .308 or even a .358 Win.

Nice read - Thanks!

Come on John what is your personal favorite iron or irons, if you use something different in the heavy brush for close work.
Silver Hand

Heavy work? If and I do mean if I need to go after a wounded bear in cover, I'd choose a good old pump in 12 gauge loaded with solids. I have an old .45-70 double rifle that works well also. I hit a previously wounded 450 class animal three times with a .45 acp cause that's all I had when the "dead" bear charged from somewhere short of 15 yards. There are members of this site that were there when it happened. I was asked to come and help track and recover said "dead" bear while heading home from work and my Colt Commander happens to be my daily carry, hence the all I had thing. I truly believe that if it hadn't been shot again with an -06 that wouldn't have turned out well for me.

I've had them roll over and kick a few times after being hit with a .25-06 using 120 grain slugs and the next year had them spin circles that you wouldn't want to be in the middle of after taken a death hit with a 300 WM using 180 partitions, growling and tearing everything in sight up before giving up the ghost. Go figure? I think ALL animals want to live, some just a little more than others.
Honestly, if I had to say which one is my favorite Silver Hand, (and I ain't trying to start a this ones better than that one debate) I'd have to say the one I always seem to find myself reaching for is my old pre 64 model 70 in "dirty" -06. Not that it's the prettiest girl at the dance, nor the fastest or loudest, but it's worked for me well.

Actually, there was a former pet Kodiak bear pre_WWI on Orcas Island that grew to over a 1,000 pounds when it escaped. The local who finally put an end to its depredations according to the local paper used 5-6 shots from a .22. I am thinking maybe a 22-250 Winchester was actually or a 25-35?? A .22 boggles the mind but that's what the news story says.

Brutus Out

Yes, but was the guy up in a tree and able to make eyeball shots? I dare anyone to stand at 50 yards from a kodiak and open up with a 22. What do you want on your tombstone?

not that anyone cares but I'm building a bear rifle this fall A Savage 111c in 35 Whelen 22" barrel DBM Boyds Classic Stock in Walnut 3-9X 40mm Leupold Varix II I'm planning on 250gr slugs.

not that anyone cares but I'm building a bear rifle this fall A Savage 111c in 35 Whelen 22" barrel DBM Boyds Classic Stock in Walnut 3-9X 40mm Leupold Varix II I'm planning on 250gr slugs.

That should do the job nicely. If memory serves the Ackley Improved version was worth doing. Maybe not?

Heavy work? If and I do mean if I need to go after a wounded bear in cover, I'd choose a good old pump in 12 gauge loaded with solids. I have an old .45-70 double rifle that works well also. I hit a previously wounded 450 class animal three times with a .45 acp cause that's all I had when the "dead" bear charged from somewhere short of 15 yards. There are members of this site that were there when it happened.

I am impressed. Having witnessed myself, the ground clearing a black can do after taking three rounds of .308 to the Center line of his chest. No dogs that day, My dad walked right into him.

I cannot think of a better place for a slug gun. Great choices. I have never used anything under.30 cal.
Thanks
Silver Hand

Great cartridge I like a 16'' -18'' barrel and something like a 1.5-5 VX-111 Leupold I think there is a larger 2-7 power Vx 1 Leopold.
I just like a faster moving rifle overall for bear. But that is me not you.
Silver Hand

Silver Hand, those three hits with the .45 didn't even phase him. He was hit with an 06 165 gr. through the spine as I was shooting and I'm pretty sure he would have won the wrestling match had not he been hit with it. I took a 350 class that walked into the old Model 70 at probably 10 feet and stood there, never even knew he was in the same berry patch until we were nose to nose.I ruined a pretty nice skull when i hit him between the horns. I too feel a .30 is a good choice, not the 30 M1 carbine though, Milquetoast at best. My daughter took a good one last year that was hit very well three times with an -06, the only indication of the initial hit was the bear bolting on the first shot. Two follow ups to put it down. Two through the breathing pump and one just a little back through the liver. I can't tell you which hit where first though.

To the op's question, I believe any good hunting caliber in the hands of a competent rifleman will get the job done, but I would look at a .308 build if going for an AR platform.
I just don't think there's any such thing as over kill when your hunting an animal that could turn the tables on you.

So the 458 Socom seems to be the way to go, I think that it is the "most powerful" round available in the AR-15 platform. I think that I may try for a 300 or even 6.8 upper for deer. I teach hunter ed and I would like to have a large game kill with an AR to show the kids that AR's aren't just for COD or just MDK rifles. Like they have a legitimate purpose.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads