JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd like to tap some of the expertise out there. Are examples from some manufacturers of .30 Cal. Carbines more sought after than others? Underwood vs. IBM, for example? Do people care other than for curiosity reasons? Or are condition, date of manufacture, and history the critical factors?

Thank you for any responses.

My understanding of M1 Carbines is that there is really no way to tell if one is all "original" inless it was historically significant and had a paper trail. I believe one with proper period parts groups are called "correct" for the year of manufacture. I have a Rock-Ola that has some Rock-Ola parts acquired from other M1s and they are not original but correct.
Nice collection BSG75.

BSG 75 I see your line of thought and never considered GI duffel bag bringbacks. I would think those would be pretty rare. I saw that with weapons when I was in Vietnam, anything that fits in the bag or free shipping box. By paper trail I mean a carbine issued to someone famous enough that records were kept and those are probably in museums now. We know that only receivers were serial numbered on carbines and garands and when I hear a rifle is all original I think of my younger friend who showed me his Tanker Garand that his uncle brought back from the Pacific and passed on to him. It took about 30 seconds to see the weld lines where the receiver had been put together from scrap after the war. I reminded him that sometimes old uncles told bs stories to young boys cause they knew they wanted to hear them and it wasn't disrespectful. He sold it for a thousand dollars but not to me.

Since most of the manufacturers of carbines used parts from one to four other manufacturers of carbines or even companies that did not assemble complete weapons. And the fact that weapons were run through the armory even during WWII almost all of them after WWII then some before and after Korea then before and after Vietnam then after they were given to various allies they also rebuilt them. The when the various importers brought in containers of them from Korea, Israel, Germany etc. they were redone again.

I would venture the average carbine in civilian hands right now has been through an armory 4-5 times since some factory first put it in a wooden box for delievery to the military.

Mine is an Inland receiver with a Inland General Motors barrel and a bunch of Winchester parts. NO clue on the stock no stampings are readable due to damage and rough handling not to mention my father inlaw rasping off the Korean Military painted serial number on the stock.

SO I don't worry about what its worth only how it shoots. I'm about to put a NEW reproduction stock on it. Cause the last one who ever put on it is wasted.

the distinction being "as manufactured" and "as issued" get craig reisch's book, I had a few chats with him back in the 90's when he did a lot of his research, depending on manufacturer and date revision parts were installed on newly made guns, other manufacturers parts were used for logistical purposes (some were just better at making some parts and had more, like barrels and bolts). it is a maze of information.
as said before just worry about how it shoots
cmp has barrels and stocks, new
careful about who you get to work on it

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR