JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to the future and wondering which rifle(s) I may want to secure for the grand children to use for big game; I want the lower recoil for youth, but need KO power for elk.

I've seen one elk taken with a .270; fired by a youth, it seems to have done the job.

Brand doesn't matter at this point, but I've seen some Weatherby Vanguards with a flat forend; I think that's a good design.

.223, 30/30, & .243 are perfect for deer, but obviously too small for elk.

_______________=just right for youth, deer, & elk.

.308, .30-06, 45-70 would suffice, but seem too heavy for a 12 Y/O even though my grandsons are studs....:rolleyes:

Anyone care to describe how a .270 does against elk?

Thanks.

I have a close friend that still only hunts Elk with his 1960 BSA in .270! I've seen him take shots out to 500 yards with it, and they drop like a ton of bricks!
I have one but I went and Ackley Improved mine, and have only shot a bear and a handful of deer with it.

So I say a .270 of perfect for elk! And remember shot placement is also key, with all calibers.

Until the recent vogue of wonder magnums the .270 was and still is an effective elk cartridge. My longest distance was around 350 yards up hill and one round took him down right there on the spot.

While most folks have no clue who Jack O'Connor was, he really elevated its status in his writings as the Shooting Editor for Outdoor Life for around 30 years. He was a huge advocate of this cartridge and killed a lot of game. My father in law was a maniac when it came to hunting elk. He was a very successful hunter. He only used the .270.

The Nosler Partician bullet worked extremely well in this cartridge. I'm confident the newer bullets work equally well or even better. It is a light recoil flat shooting rifle and an awesome legacy to hand down to the next generation.

Last Edited:
Until the recent vogue of wonder magnums the .270 was and still is an effective elk cartridge. My longest distance was around 350 yards up hill and one round took him down right there on the spot.

While most folks have no clue who Jack O'Connor was, he really elevated its status in his writings as the Shooting Editor for Outdoor Life for around 30 years.

The Nosler Partician bullet worked extremely well in this cartridge. I'm confident the newer bullets work equally well or even better. It is a light recoil flat shooting rifle.

Yeah he did the article on the comparison between the 270 win and the 7mm rem Mag when it came out on the caribou and moose. The 270 actually outperformed the 7 mm Rem Mag

For a young person starting out it would be better in a heavier rifle. It kicks like a mule in a lightweight. Will teach them some bad habits like flinching LOL:D

A compensator is always an option but increases muzzle blast, I have a friend that may be looking to sell a 7mm-08, (308 cartridge necked to a 7mm) a great, very versatile round with a large selection in bullet weights and good ballistics and trajectory. also low recoil especially when loaded with lighter bullets

Good bullet choice in a 270 and don't look back. As much of a ballistic nerd as I am and appreciate the numbers the latest whiz bang super magnum puts out, I've seen enough elk killed with 270's, '06 and 308's to argue the effectiveness. Google moose hunting with 270 Winchester.

FWIW I am now using a 7mm-08 and won't hesitate hunting anything I want to.

A compensator is always an option but increases muzzle blast, I have a friend that may be looking to sell a 7mm-08, (308 cartridge necked to a 7mm) a great, very versatile round with a large selection in bullet weights and good ballistics and trajectory. also low recoil especially when loaded with lighter bullets

A very good choice :)

A compensated .270.

I suppose they could begin training with lighter loads (a year-out) and work up to a load suitable for elk.

The information in these replies compels me to ask what the smallest caliber would be; that could effectively take down an elk.

If they decide on a .308, it would certainly be ok with grandpa :D

A compensated .270.

I suppose they could begin training with lighter loads (a year-out) and work up to a load suitable for elk.

The information in these replies compels me to ask what the smallest caliber would be; that could effectively take down an elk.

A very good choice for someone starting out on big game in The US 48
and a wide variety of ammo available everywhere.

One that might also be of interest and ammo is still widly available is the 7 x 57 Mauser.
Good ballistics and handlable recoil for a young one.

A compensated .270.

You're just asking for an argument with that query. I don't know what state you're in, but in Oregon it has to be a .24 caliber centerfire cartridge or larger. Personally I would like a 6.5 caliber of larger.

Two words: Silencerco Harvester. Tames everything. I am a recoil wimp and could easilly shoot 300 Win Mag all day with that can on. It makes my .308 feel like a .223. Oh... And the added benefit that its quiet(er). Kills recoil and muzzle blast. Coolest thing I own.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top