JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You want the bullet to mushroom, not fragment. Maintaing the weight holds more kinetic energy. I am a Nosler fan, and have had excellent results with Accubonds, but I wouldn't shy away from Partitions. Nothing against Barnes, I've never used them and like to buy from a local (Oregon) company.

Yes I have been split between the accubonds, partitions and the barnes. I appreciate the differences between all, and I do like that the partition fragments a little bit, but maintains most of the weight. I have done as much online bullet research as i can, but do not have any first hand knowledge of real world bullet damage on elk.
Meaning that 270 load i have is hot, traveling 3000fps but how much damage will that actually do to surrounding vitals not in the direct path of the bullet.

So I have a related question, I do currently hunt with a 270 and I am interested in your opinions on bullet selection for elk.
I currently load barnes tripple shocks, but I know the benifit/downside is that they do not fragment at all. Benifit= total penetration and %100 weight retention but I am concerned that if I do not get the perfect heart shot will this bullet provide enough damage to the lungs to put the animal down?
What do you think:
question possed to all

The barnes tsx, an
So I have a related question, I do currently hunt with a 270 and I am interested in your opinions on bullet selection for elk.
I currently load barnes tripple shocks, but I know the benifit/downside is that they do not fragment at all. Benifit= total penetration and %100 weight retention but I am concerned that if I do not get the perfect heart shot will this bullet provide enough damage to the lungs to put the animal down?
What do you think:
question possed to all

My experience with the TSX and Tipped TSX has been that they cause a ton of internal damage, especially the Tipped TSX as long as impact velocities are higher. Shots under 300 yards result in soupy lungs.

Nice that's what I was looking for. Next year I will be switching to the tipped 130 grainers for a little bit higher velocity. This year I have the 140, not much different but they do not have the tipped version...
Thanks for the info

Nice that's what I was looking for. Next year I will be switching to the tipped 130 grainers for a little bit higher velocity. This year I have the 140, not much different but they do not have the tipped version...
Thanks for the info

Think of the TSX in terms of retained weight, not starting weight. For example, if a 150gr partition (common choice for elk in the 270) retains its designed 70%, the ending weight is 105gr. A 110gr TSX will retain as much or more than the 150gr Partition. Speed is your friend with the TSX and the 110gr will push 3500 fps in some rifles.

I have used the 130gr TTSX in the 30-06 at 3250fps and it will drive through an elk with no problem and break the off shoulder. Simply devastating.

I go back to cup and core/bonded as ranges increase beyond 400 yards because the TSX has the BC of a ping pong ball.

Yes I have been split between the accubonds, partitions and the barnes.

Well, the brand that you are overlooking here is Hornady. Their InterBond bullet compares very favorably with the Nosler Accubond, and their GMX bullet is a fantastic competitor to the Barnes TSX.

If you want more choices, these are definitely worth checking out. You can also get them loaded in Hornady standard loaded ammo, as well as in their new SuperPerformance loaded ammo product line:

And checkout these ballistic gelatin tests, done with:

308 150 grain InterBond bullet:

and 308 150 grain GMX bullet:

Just to say, I went with a Winchester M-100 autoloader in .308 for my son! Light, handy, and fairly light recoil. Turned out to be a winner, he still has it.:)

I go back to cup and core/bonded as ranges increase beyond 400 yards because the TSX has the BC of a ping pong ball.

That is the weakness in the Barnes TSX bullets, even with the tipped versions. Their ballistic coefficients are very mediocre.

The Hornady GMX bullets really outperform the Barnes bullets significantly in this regard. For example, the Barnes tipped TSX .277 130 gr bullet has a BC of .392 That is not bad, but it is not great either.

Compare that, though, to a Hornady GMX .277 130 gr bullet, which has a BC of .460

That is quite an improvement.

I'd stay away from Bergers. They EXPLODE by design for long range terminal damage. I shot one mule deer buck at 567 yards and it turned it to a blood shot mess from base of neck to mid way through backstraps, That was with just a 7 rem mag. with so many great bonded and monolithic options these days why ruin all that meat?....

I load,
Barnes TTSX
Barnes LRX
Nosler Accubonds
Nosler E-tips
And
Sierra Gamekings for economy loads.

I'd stay away from Bergers. They EXPLODE by design for long range terminal damage. I shot one mule deer buck at 567 yards and it turned it to a blood shot mess from base of neck to mid way through backstraps, That was with just a 7 rem mag. with so many great bonded and monolithic options these days why ruin all that meat?....

I load,
Barnes TTSX
Barnes LRX
Nosler Accubonds
Nosler E-tips
And
Sierra Gamekings for economy loads.

Which Berger was it?

Lots of talk about caliber, MV and ME, but the one thing that needs to be emphasized is Shot placement. Learn to be calm and pick a hair on the neck or the lung and heart area. The upper neck area will bring them down fairly quick and you might not have to drag them a mile out of some deep dark canyon. I see so many just shooting and not taking the time to get that good shot. It makes me sick to see people gut shoot, or hit legs and hind quarters and just fire in a buck fever frenzy. Teach them to develop a mindset to make a clean kill shot or hold off and do not take the shot. One way to teach that is start them on a single shot rifle and instill in them they will only get one shot. Make it a good one or wait til they can. Hell I still hunt with a falling block today. Like it better than all my bolt rifles.
Teach people GOOD habits. ie Make the shot count 100% of the time.

Well all doubt of mine is gone now, regarding the Barnes tsx. Filled my deer tag today, and with a shot through the lungs at 75 yards it caused massive trauma. It looked like the lungs went through a blender, but still had a golf ball sized exit hole. DRT

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top