JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had a chance to try out my first reloads today with the following results.

First a little history, my first time out with my new to me 25.06 Ruger m77 target was dismal, 5 inch groups with a wild flier now and then at 100yds using Hornady factory 117gr. To say the least I was very disappointed.

Thanks to the wife, she is good, I put new glass on it for x-mas and measured the OAL with my new Hornady setup (OAL gauge and comparators). Calculated the delta on the factory ammo and jump was ~0.053.

My hand loads were setup at 0.020 jump using 117gr BTSP with H4831sc. I also tried the Hornady factory which was yielding about 4 in groups with the new glass. I varied the load from 49.3gr to 52.9gr. 49.3 gr yielded a 0.586MOA 3 shot group. To say the least I was very pleased given my results with factory ammo and first loads. Will work on some more loads to see if I can dial it in more.

Key takeaway, being a newbie to rifle reloading, figure out the OAL for your rifle. Be it the smoke method, marker, OAL gauge whatever, the results speak for themselves.

Also have to say thanks to you who have posted in the reloading section, you have answered my questions before and I have trolled many a posts.

Matt

Image.jpg

Those Mk II Target models are pretty nice :s0155:

Once I got my 22-250 straightened out and figured out what it liked to be fed, it will put 12-15 rounds around an inch. Then the barrel heats up, or I get jerky on the trigger and the group opens up. Not by much though!

I'm willing to bet you can tighten those groups up a bit more once you get used to the trigger. Try more rounds in your groups (5-10) to see what it can really do. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Have fun!

That is what I have heard and read. It was one of the reason I picked up the rifle. Now that I am in the same ballpark with the handloads I will fine tune and see what it can do. I also want to try some light weight bullets for varmit hunting. I have renewed interest now that I am getting a decent group. With the factory ammo it was pretty sad considering it is a target rifle.\

Matt

Two suggestions:

1) Try a 100g Nosler Ballistic Tip. (IMR 4831 is my favorite powder, and a benchrest primer: Federal is my preference). You don't need the 117-120g bullets unless your quarry is monster muleys or elk.

2) Make yourself a master copy of a target with black, (1/2" open center) squares. Graph paper is good for this master copy. You will never fall victim to being unable to get a store-bought target of the style you like, and you need the identical target (even years later) to compare results to what you are doing now.

My master copy is actually 1" open-center squares, and I reduce it on the copier to get the 1/2" for higher power scopes. (My Browning B78 has a 6.5x-20x on it). The 1" is perfect for 9x and less magnification, even works for 4x.

37 years with the .25-06. Advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

I will have to give that a try. I picked up the 117's as that is what Bi-mart had in stock and I was chomping at the bit to try my first rifle handloads.

I'll take feedback based 37 years of experinece any day of the week!

Matt

And, for accuracy results perhaps even better (and especially toward your varmint application), try the Sierra 75g Hollowpoints, or a 85g Nosler Ballistic Tip. Note: lighter bullets will usually be better served with faster powders than the IMR4831 (and the load books will reflect that).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top