JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For my target shooting I use 308 Win Heavy Krieger 4R 1:10-Twist 18" (+ 2" muzzle brake) barrel and I am super happy with it. I noticed that, no matter what bullets I try, my most accurate load is always at lower end (for 200 and 300 yards distance). For example, for Sierra 168gr and 155gr Match King HPBT bullets, the most accurate loads of Varget are 42.7gr and 44.3gr, respectively. At these loads I get the. most accurate groups and most consistent muzzle velocity.
Do you have the same experience with your Krieger barrel?

that a Great barrel . 175 smk's are GTG . ( IMHO ) your best choice out the 18" barrel length on that 308, and 175's will carry and can still drop them into 1000 yrd. very accurate .Your accuracy node for that is going to be 2580/2600 fps .
I would not waste powder and bullets for 2700 Vel.node and 175's, as a 22" length would be about as short I would go for that powder burn and bullet weight..

That .308 18" short barrel and the 175's Will carry better on the holdovers after 600 yrd. than the 168's . 18", It is way to short OAL to pump-up for using 155's efficiently as you really need a good 26" barrel to get the velocity up to make the 155's shine.

Last Edited:
The most accurate powder I have found for the 308 is IMR 4064 with 168 SMK bullets. Shooting out past
300 yards the 175 SMK works good. Some guys like the Burgers but I have limited experience with them.
The rule with the 308 out to 1000 yards is to keep the bullet supersonic. Once the bullet goes subsonic
it tumbles and accuracy is lost. The 175 SMK needs a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps to reach 1000 yards
and stay supersonic. This is a hot load for a 308. I don't think you can achieve that with a 18" barrel?
I own and have owned several Krieger barrels. They are among the best and are very popular with
coemption shooters.

Unfortunately, I live in Seattle and rarely have a chance to shoot over 300 yard. In fact, most of the time I shoot 200 yards (longest at our range). When it comes to accuracy at 200 and 300 yards, I did not find any difference between 155gr, 168gr and 175gr bullets.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews