JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have an old Marlin bolt action I'm saving in case I am blessed with grandchildren some day.

But this thread go me thinking, it shouldn't be too hard to block a magazine to only hold one round - and do it in a way that is reversible. Another project to add to my list.

I had the same thing in mind to use the SA as a single shot at first(after lots of dry fire of course) and then, when he's ready, slowly increase the round count. Seems pretty safe to me as I would have hands on him and or the rifle until he was very fimilar and proved to handle it safely which would likely take years.

I ended up getting an M&P 15-22 to introduce the five grandkids to shooting. The three oldest started with an old Daisy BB gun. The lever action slowed it down to single shot speed, but the object was to use their enthusiasm to memorize the rules for safe handling of firearms, to actually align the crude sights with the target, and to recognize that once they moved beyond point-blank range they had to account for BB trajectory. The targets were whatever they wanted to draw on construction paper, clay pigeons, and tin cans. End result, the older two are clearly ready to move up and the third one needs some more maturing as he can't seem to stay focused on any one thing for more than 5 minutes.

So why did I pass over all the single shot rifles? Because I don't want to be stuck with something they'll outgrow in no time. Not to mention being totally underwhelmed at the quality of what passes for a starter .22lr for kids. Just wish the old single shot Stevens I used as a kid had passed my way in the family.

The adjustable stock on the 15-22 means it will fit the two older grandsons right now, and in years to come. I bought one 10-round magazine, and after showing them how to load and unload a round, I pass them out one at a time. [They don't know about the 25 round mags.] Second time shooting, they got two rounds at a time. Reactive targets make it fun. I treat their introduction to firearms as a serious business, and there is no fooling around or it all comes to a sudden end. The two older boys are taking it totally serious when out shooting, but act like typical 9 and 10 year olds when they get home.

Like thousands of dry fire cycles
You're not talking about dry firing a rimfire a few thousand times, are you? That would not be good for the gun.

Also, the bolt actions you looked at that didn't have safeties probably didn't include Savage. Either the Rascal single shot, or the Mkii would be phenomenal choices, and would fit even the smallest of frames.

And actually I had a better idea after I typed that last post up. Instead of a dowel, use a bolt and nut through the opening, if you are using the S&W magazines, to only allow the follower to go far enough down to put in one round.
That's OK, I was half kidding. I enjoy this kind of thing so I generally go way overboard. Mine is a Sig Sauer. Here is the inside of a 10 round magazine. I'm thinking of making a plastic spacer shaped like what I drew in white.
170131_0007ces.jpg

So my son is starting to get to the age that I would like to start taking him out to shoot. (He turns 5 in March, the wife says it's too early but I plan to take things very slow so I would like to get him started) I was thinking about getting a youth model 10/22 but think the stock may still be too long for him. So I thought about buying a collapsible stock for it which may be a good solution but then I thought an AR15 in 22lr might be good to train him up for big boy toys as I already have a 5.56 rifle built for him. If the controls are the same and it carries similar it might be beneficial? I have looked at the Mossburg and the S&W M&P 22 but they almost seem like plastic that is crudely formed somewhat like an AR so they can call it one, although the S&W wasn't too bad. Am I over thinking this? I also know there are mag options that may not inter change but not sure on specifics. I have thought about maybe building/buying a designated 22lr upper for his 5.56 rifle but have read about quality and reliability issues. Any experience with them? Thanks for your input:)
Hey, EVILZ.. though I'd start a kid on a bolt gun or something, saw this. didn't even know Mossberg made such a thing. Seems like a good deal to me..

WTS/WTT WA - Mossberg 715T New In Box

Hey, EVILZ.. though I'd start a kid on a bolt gun or something, saw this. didn't even know Mossberg made such a thing. Seems like a good deal to me..

WTS/WTT WA - Mossberg 715T New In Box

Wow, been listed for over 2 years now, seems not much interest in the Mossberg product. Don't know anything about them myself, but maybe a decent choice.

When I first started looking into a dedicated 22lr AR platform, I ended up narrowing it down to the Smith & Wesson and the Mossberg. I settled on the Smith at the time due to the horrible reviews I saw of the Mossberg. There were complaints of being VERY ammunition specific. Even with the right ammo, you would be lucky to get through a mag without a malfunction of some sort.

Of course this is what I read online, but at the time I couldn't find a bad review on the Smith but almost every review on the Mossberg was bad.

I started my two oldest daughters at 5 I made the mistake of buying a cricket rifle but they had been shooting the 10-22 and the 15-22 for a couple years before they could comfortably handle the little cricket rifle because the angle of the grip is such that the trigger reach was difficult for them. I always just loaded 1 round at a time it slowed them down and gave them practice with weapon manipulation (reloading and bolt manipulation) the 15-22 does have the advantage of having a bolt hold open.

You're not talking about dry firing a rimfire a few thousand times, are you? That would not be good for the gun.

Also, the bolt actions you looked at that didn't have safeties probably didn't include Savage. Either the Rascal single shot, or the Mkii would be phenomenal choices, and would fit even the smallest of frames.
Just about every quality modern rimfire is built to withstand dry fire. Didn't know this myself until my first Appleseed course. I later researched this and found it to be true. The bolt gun I was specifically referring to with the lack of safety was a savage and I believe it was the Rascal. It had a heavy firing pin plunger that had to be pulled back but no safety leaver or button. Not saying it isn't safe but I would like him to go through the steps of operating a safety.

Just about every quality modern rimfire is built to withstand dry fire. Didn't know this myself until my first Appleseed course. I later researched this and found it to be true. The bolt gun I was specifically referring to with the lack of safety was a savage and I believe it was the Rascal. It had a heavy firing pin plunger that had to be pulled back but no safety leaver or button. Not saying it isn't safe but I would like him to go through the steps of operating a safety.
Sounds like you're talking about the cricket. This is from an article about the Rascal:
"On the right rear side of the receiver is a two-position safety, with the forward firing position revealing a bright red dot—an excellent visual indicator as to the gun's firing status. The bolt can be cycled for unloading with the safety engaged. The overly-large safety button is also a plus.

The bolt, which cocks upon opening, requires little effort to cycle."

Savage Rascal

IMG_2250.JPG

Sounds like you're talking about the cricket. This is from an article about the Rascal:
"On the right rear side of the receiver is a two-position safety, with the forward firing position revealing a bright red dot—an excellent visual indicator as to the gun's firing status. The bolt can be cycled for unloading with the safety engaged. The overly-large safety button is also a plus.

The bolt, which cocks upon opening, requires little effort to cycle."

Savage Rascal

View attachment 339904
Yessir you are correct... I guess I haven't seen the Rascal yet. I do like the peep sight and the safety would work nicely. And wow, this thing even has an Accutrigger! I wonder if it has a bigger chamber opening than the Cricket as that was the only other thing that would be a challenge for loading with my sausage fingers:D guess I need to track one down...

Last Edited:
I have an old Marlin bolt action I'm saving in case I am blessed with grandchildren some day.

But this thread go me thinking, it shouldn't be too hard to block a magazine to only hold one round - and do it in a way that is reversible. Another project to add to my list.

Or, just load one round at a time.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads