JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a new-to-me stainless Tikka T3 Varmint in .223 Rem. It shot my previous 75 gr ELDM load okay, but not how I know Tikkas can shoot. I figure that if I have to do it over I'm gonna do it differently.

I did some research and decided to try TAC. I'm running it kinda hot so I'm not gonna post my load, but chrono testing gets me 3043, ES 16, SD 6, but only 7 shots. Brass looks fine, no bolt lift issues. I'm loading pretty long with Mountain Tactical magazines.

I put together a seating depth test starting at just kissing the lands (2.477") and ending at 2.373," which isn't far from the ogive. Weather permitting I'll be able to get an afternoon in maybe Wednesday.

4DD4FE10-1EE1-488C-9F04-A1365E3B6A99.jpeg

I'm looking for Tikka accuracy. 3043 with a .235 G7 ain't bad.

P

I have a new-to-me stainless Tikka T3 Varmint in .223 Rem. It shot my previous 75 gr ELDM load okay, but not how I know Tikkas can shoot. I figure that if I have to do it over I'm gonna do it differently.

I did some research and decided to try TAC. I'm running it kinda hot so I'm not gonna post my load, but chrono testing gets me 3043, ES 16, SD 6, but only 7 shots. Brass looks fine, no bolt lift issues. I'm loading pretty long with Mountain Tactical magazines.

I put together a seating depth test starting at just kissing the lands (2.477") and ending at 2.373," which isn't far from the ogive. Weather permitting I'll be able to get an afternoon in maybe Wednesday.

View attachment 1179383

I'm looking for Tikka accuracy. 3043 with a .235 G7 ain't bad.

P
"Kinda" hot?? 😳

I get 2977 with a book load using Varget so yeah, kinda hot.

And I'm loading long, so there's lots of room in the case.

I think primer appearance is a poor pressure indicator but for them that does, here you go:

487171A1-E7C8-42F1-8921-C76874FE2A94.jpeg

I'm just kidding. The 75 ELDM is a long bullet. The longer cases aren't compressed but I think the 2 shorter lengths are. TAC is a slippery powder so I can't feel a crunch like with Varget but eyeballing the cases I'm pretty sure I'm pushing powder.

Any hotter and I'd expect bolt lift issues.

yeah i was gonna say i probably wouldnt go up to the casemouth with powder lmao. seems like most .223 ive loaded, the powder ends up being just at the start of the shoulder area. ive found in some situations velocity doesnt always translate to accuracy. sometimes it does.

I get 2977 with a book load using Varget so yeah, kinda hot.

And I'm loading long, so there's lots of room in the case.

I think primer appearance is a poor pressure indicator but for them that does, here you go:

View attachment 1179429
Different bullet, but my Savage .223s are showing light pressure signs @ 2740 FPS with a 77gr Nosler CC.

They sure shoot lights out though. Different powder. IMR 8208 XBR

Edited for bullet manufacturer and powder.

Last Edited:
Different bullet, but my Savage .223s are showing light pressure signs @ 2740 FPS with a 77gr SMK.

They sure shoot lights out though. Different powder.
I had a Weatherby Super VarmintMaster that blew primers on less than max loads using 50 gr Hornady V-Max. Shot great in my other Tikka. Weird.

Just goes to show that every rifle is different.

Heck, when I started handloading I was amazed at the difference in powder charges in different reloading manuals. Same bullet, same powder, different min/max? That can't be right!
My Savage .308 blew primers at a mid charge of IMR4064. Sucks because it was clover leafing at 100yds.

A quick check with the magnetospeed showed 2,816 fps with a 175gr SMK. 😳

Range day today and the conditions were great.

I started the seating depth test with the shortest rounds. Awful. The first 3 iterations were more like a shotgun pattern than a group. The next two lengths showed promise but then I got to the longest set, just barely touching the lands.

E60F1831-95A3-43F3-B3F1-6FB1E820CB71.jpeg

I need to roll a few more but this is a pretty good first effort. Chrono is 3035.
Safe in my rifle only, do not exceed published loads.
OAL is 2.477"

P

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top