JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody ever heard of this?

Eight or ten years ago I put about 30 rounds of mixed .22 long rifle and short cartridges into a plastic bag, then put the bag in a military type ammo can. I opened the can yesterday and found the bag with a large amount of bullet colored powder. The shorts were Remington's golden bullets, and they were only slightly affected. The L.R.s were not coated bullets and were much more affected. All the cartridges were covered in the powder and there was a substantial amount of powder in the bag. I wonder if the uncoated butlets are not lead, but a composite.

Ring a bell for anyone?

Is it a white powder, as if the lead bullets were corroding? If so, it's probably lead oxide, very nasty stuff. A lot of people don't realize the danger of the white powder commonly found on old lead bullets dug out of the ground or found lying around.

Metallic lead isn't as horrifically dangerous as many believe, but powdered lead oxide is. Don't breathe it, wash your hand thoroughly after handling it, and get rid of it.

You both may have hit the nail on the head, though the powder is certainly darker than white. The bullets are a medium gray, the powder slightly lighter. I think the cartridges may be CCI Blazers, though I can't be certain. The bullets are definitely corroded in a significant way. It's almost like they were frangible and a lead substitute. No matter, into the trash with this stuff.

I'll probably lose 40 IQ points after this, leaving me nearly completely disarmed.

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the help.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top