JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at the LGS and a guy brought in a rem700 in 204. He had just started reloading for this gun and was asking the owner what's up with the primers looking like they are ready to pop out after shooting .Now the owner has reloaded since he was a kid. Anyway he said that's what the 204s do.
It's normal for the primer to push out a little after shooting?
This is one of the calibers I am contemplating and may reload for so I thought I would ask

"primers ready to pop out"?. like setting back or flowing/puddling around the firing pin and hole but not flattening the shoulder of the primer? If the latter, use harder primers.

"primers ready to pop out"?. like setting back or flowing/puddling around the firing pin and hole but not flattening the shoulder of the primer? If the latter, use harder primers.

I reload for an R700 SPS and at the higher end of the loads I get flow back around the primers, but I use Remington Bench Rest Primers. Use harder primers if you're worried. I think that the R700 has a generous hole for the firing pin on the bolt face. I have not in thousands of rounds had a primer pop.

There are some great loads for 204. I have to say my best results are with RL10x and Sierra 39gr BlitzKings. I worked on a load for 2 years and now it is consistantly under .5"

I was at the LGS and a guy brought in a rem700 in 204.

I might add you want to search for articles on the Remington SPS varmint.

Basically, the rifle as comes is junk. The stock is a HUGE detriment to accuracy and they actually mold them to put pressure on the barrel because we all know there is no need to float a barrel. They have no bedding or pillar bedding. The trigger is OK, but replacing it is a great idea.

I had to get an HS precision stock, a timney trigger, a vibration dampner and NOW it shoots.

You know,I bought a 7mm mag in their "long range" rifle.It came with a HS precision stock and would touch holes,in 2 different places,lol.So it's got bedded at the smith's
But I'm not sure how many more Remingtons I will buy. Look at their Marlin line up now.Some rifles are nice,others need sent back
I used to buy to try and now I'm trying to buy to keep. So I'll be looking at other brands before Remington

Nothing ever but Savage for me. U.S. Rifle teams use them. They are all pretty much 1moa out of the box or better. Good stocks. You can change calibers in 5 minutes or less. They even do single shot models with choice of right or left ejection ports.

They are the bomb. Miss erg is good. Savage is great.

I have a Remington 700 VSSF in .223 and it too slightly backs out the primers...maybe .001/.002 or so. A few other rifles do this too, so I don't think it is that uncommon. Primers out of this rifle always look right on the verge of being pierced too; doesn't matter if they are Federal, CCI, Winchester or even Remington 7 1/2 primers. If it didn't shoot so good as it is, I would have the firing pin bushed.

I probably won't buy another Remington, but will keep the two I have. I went down the Savage path, because they are pretty darn accurate right out of the box. But I'm down to one Savage now - accuracy can't over-come ugly, clunky and marginal tolerances for me.

I buy to keep as well, and my first Cooper has set the bar really high from now on. If it isn't up to Cooper or custom quality and accuracy, I don't get very interested any more.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top