JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
been out 3 times this year so far pretty much on the border of the wilson and trask units. seen somewhere around 30 deer and 20 elk. no deer with horns yet, keeping my fingers crossed. we pulled a buck out of this area last year so i am hoping to have the same luck this year.

One long day in Stott Mountain Unit with a lot of mixed (deer and elk) sign but no critters. Another long day, and equally long, chilly night in Trask. Equally mixed sign in the 1/2 mile square clearcut I was sitting on. Only warm blooded creatures around were FAT, FAT squirrels and some very "helpful", young target shooters blasting away with 9mms and an AK or two. Thanks for effing up the hunting, dudes!
Probably the last chance I'll get to go out his season. Boo-hoo.
By the way, I have decided to shoot every coyote I see, even while trying to be still and quiet.

Blitz and I both pulled deer out of the Trask unit this morning. The antlers weren't impressive, but it was something.

Our hard work of following them last weekend paid off... Not to mention about 22 miles of hiking (blitz did more while I was sleeping last week) through the season. We had only seen three other people on foot the entire time. Quite a few road hunters out there though... Not sure why they even bother wearing camo when they never even exit their bright red Toyota Tacoma. :s0112:

One of us will upload pictures later.

Some photos of our day.

I'm the guy with the orange hair. Blitz is the other guy. Second photo is the rifle I used to take my deer this year and last. .300 Blackout is one hell of a round!

1.jpg

image.jpg

1.jpg

image.jpg

accidentally blew one of the antlers off on mine when i went to finish it off with a shot to the head. still a little upset about that. oh well, atleast it was only a fork and nothing impressive.

Blitz and I both pulled deer out of the Trask unit this morning. The antlers weren't impressive, but it was something.

Our hard work of following them last weekend paid off... Not to mention about 22 miles of hiking (blitz did more while I was sleeping last week) through the season. We had only seen three other people on foot the entire time. Quite a few road hunters out there though... Not sure why they even bother wearing camo when they never even exit their bright red Toyota Tacoma. :s0112:

One of us will upload pictures later.

Nice job!!!!! That's why your posting pic's and there not, if you put in the miles you"ll almost always be productive.
Unfurnutely for me I draw a Muilti season tag and and I'm having ankle issue' and cant hardly walk. maybe later in the season ( I have until the end of DEC.) or theres always next yr

Tagged a spike the last day of my hunt. I typically hunt for the meat, meaning that I don't care all that much if the deer has a trophy size rack or not. I have passed up a spike or three on opening day on occasion.
Anyway, feel blessed to have the meat in the fridge. Had Backstrap for dinner last night. :)
Horrendous weather conditions. Will be a while before I complain about it being too hot down there again! (Interstate unit)

Hi, A friend and I have been out opening weekend during the typhoon and this last weekend as well. No bucks, and only a few does seen. The good thing is we have found a few really prime areas that we will continue our hunts at. This is the first year I have hunted in Oregon and The Western General or Coast range area in my opinion is one of the hardest terrain to hunt in the PNW. Wow, at times it gets so intimidating that one has to ask himself if there is any chance at all. I have hunted Whitetails in Minnesota for 22 years and felt that my knowledge would roll over to black tail hunting here and almost guarantee a buck harvested. LOL, it has helped some but I have to give praise and credit to you guys who have hunted the coast range and had success. We have been to BLM road 10 off of highway 34, west of marys peak, the Driftwood wilderness area, and just south west of BLM 10 loop.

I hope if anyone does get a black tail buck in the Coastal range on public property will post their pics and a small story on the terrain, the hunt, and even the preseason scouting. I do not want any specifics on your honey hole location but just some good truthful story telling.

Having been raised hunting blacktails I always get a kick out of watching hunting shows where the host tells us how hard hunting whitetails is when the camera man pans out and you can see 20 does and 3 nice bucks in the frame. Or they shoot and miss and 10 min later the buck is back... Really? Lol! Some of the big names who have spent the time hunting them will admit being able to hunt and consistently harvest blacktails is one of the hardest hunts there is. Jim Shockey is one. I'm not saying whitetails are fish in a barrel but there's a lot of whitetail hunters who could stand to be taken down a peg and humbled by our elusive little blacktails ;)

I'm sorry if I offended you, it truly was not my intention. Thank you for being honest with your experiences

I missed opening day and week.
Had to celebrate my granddaughters 1st birthday with my youngest boys family.
You know he felt important.:drink:

My second time out yesterday I did get a 3 pointer.:woot:

I have not seen a single horned animal, lots of doe! I followed 3 ladies while they ate breakfast but nothing with a horn. I got pictures of 2 bucks that seem to roam the area I have been hunting but they seem to know its open season now.

Yesterday afternoon, bored, a little tired, wife surfing online, I said,"I think I'll go shoot a buck". She says, " yeah, honey, you just go do that". Five minutes from the house this heavy 3x2 shows up, and sacrificed himself for the sake of the 5 does near him. Isn't it a couple of weeks early for the rut? This guy was all necked up and kinda stinky...

Last Edited:
Yesterday afternoon, bored, a little tired, wife surfing online, I said,"I think I'll go shoot a buck". She says, " yeah, honey, you just go do that". Five minutes from the house this heavy 3x2 shows up, and sacrificed himself for the sake of the 5 does near him. Isn't it a couple of weeks early for the rut? This guy was all necked up and kinda stinky...

From what I'm hearing it's gonna be an early rut. That storm screwed with their internal clocks. The kicker is I decided to bow hunt deer this year because rifle season ends so early, doh! So much for thinking too hard

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top