JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got this black tail last weekend. I had spent 4-5 days (a few hours a day) hunting the same area of Trask without even seeing a doe. I walked the whole time and eventually closed in on a clearing I could see into from under the cover of trees. The clearing was at the bottom of a pretty steep 3-sided valley. He looked in my direction for over a minute while I scrambled up, down and around the hill looking for line of sight that didn't have brush in the way. I eventually found one and punched him through both shoulders. I tried waiting for a shot with his leg forward, but he never gave it to me. He ran about ten yards and fell. He never did figure out what I was I guess. Once I got to him and looked back into the tree line, all I could see was shadow.

I'm pretty happy with the hunt but sort of sad the season is over. I will still make it into the woods with my cougar and bear tags while keeping my friends company while they hunt for their buck. : )

photo-12_zpsd4cc8b12.jpg

Some photos of our day.

I'm the guy with the orange hair. Blitz is the other guy. Second photo is the rifle I used to take my deer this year and last. .300 Blackout is one hell of a round!

View attachment 71658

View attachment 71659

Hey, in my book, Hunting the terrain in Oregon is one of the hardest areas in the U.S. to hunt. I surely would not care about the size of the antlers. Nice job and congrats....some tasty meals to come for the both of you

Tagged a spike the last day of my hunt. I typically hunt for the meat, meaning that I don't care all that much if the deer has a trophy size rack or not. I have passed up a spike or three on opening day on occasion.
Anyway, feel blessed to have the meat in the fridge. Had Backstrap for dinner last night. :)
Horrendous weather conditions. Will be a while before I complain about it being too hot down there again! (Interstate unit)

great job, and it is a blessing. Its always nice to see others who had success. Do you get any of the scraps made up in seasoned deer sticks? If you find a good butcher that does make them, let me know. Back home I have a great butcher that makes just about any seasoned sticks you can think of. And the best part is, even if you only get 1 deer in your party, using just the scraps is enough since they add a equal part of pork and/or beef to it so you get more for your buck

Having been raised hunting blacktails I always get a kick out of watching hunting shows where the host tells us how hard hunting whitetails is when the camera man pans out and you can see 20 does and 3 nice bucks in the frame. Or they shoot and miss and 10 min later the buck is back... Really? Lol! Some of the big names who have spent the time hunting them will admit being able to hunt and consistently harvest blacktails is one of the hardest hunts there is. Jim Shockey is one. I'm not saying whitetails are fish in a barrel but there's a lot of whitetail hunters who could stand to be taken down a peg and humbled by our elusive little blacktails ;)

I'm sorry if I offended you, it truly was not my intention. Thank you for being honest with your experiences

No offense taken here and I do agree with you. OR is damn hard to hunt. My opinion is mainly because Not very many people in OR have private land of their own or even permission to hunt private land. The terrain is also very different and setting up a portable stand or a permanent stand which now days back home, look more like a small luxury hotel room is not usually a option. I know how hard it is to hunt here in OR. Miles of driving looking for huntable areas, then miles of hiking, finding, stalking and actually shooting a deer. A majority of deer hunters in MN either have land, someone in their hunting party has land, or their spouses family has land. Then the use of hunting out of a elevated stand for 60% of your time helps too. My brother and I bought our families farm from my mothers side after our Grandma passed away. We redid the house and some of the pole barns and have 320 acres that is for hunting and leisure use only. I can't wait for early November in order to go back home for the Deer opener.

Again, I give all of you guys more credit than most give when you are successful hunting here in OR.

I got this black tail last weekend. I had spent 4-5 days (a few hours a day) hunting the same area of Trask without even seeing a doe. I walked the whole time and eventually closed in on a clearing I could see into from under the cover of trees. The clearing was at the bottom of a pretty steep 3-sided valley. He looked in my direction for over a minute while I scrambled up, down and around the hill looking for line of sight that didn't have brush in the way. I eventually found one and punched him through both shoulders. I tried waiting for a shot with his leg forward, but he never gave it to me. He ran about ten yards and fell. He never did figure out what I was I guess. Once I got to him and looked back into the tree line, all I could see was shadow.

I'm pretty happy with the hunt but sort of sad the season is over. I will still make it into the woods with my cougar and bear tags while keeping my friends company while they hunt for their buck. : )

Sweet buck and thanks for sharing some general info....What type of gun and caliber is that bad boy? 300 Blackout???

photo-12_zpsd4cc8b12.jpg

Thanks! : ) It is a 18" AR in .223 I put together from parts (Noveske, KAC, VLTOR). I was using RAMSHOT TAC pushing a 70gr Barnes TSX to about 2900fps. I definitely want to build a 300BLK, but the .223 did the trick.

Beautiful...congrats!!!

photo-12_zpsd4cc8b12.jpg

Thanks guys! : ) I fed the family with one of the tenderloins the next day. It was delicious but a little tough. I think he was a fairly old stud. I sure do appreciate him though, and I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to take him.

There was some fresh battle damage on his face, and a lot of old damage too (seems sort of odd for this time of the year...). Anyway, it makes me think there is at least one other big buck in the area for next year if one of you doesn't get to him first! ; )

I got mine, yet I'm still going out with my hunting buddy looking for his deer.
I do have Bear, Cougar and Grouse tags so I haven't stopped hunting.
I just love being out there. :)

I got mine, yet I'm still going out with my hunting buddy looking for his deer.
I do have Bear, Cougar and Grouse tags so I haven't stopped hunting.
I just love being out there. :)

I just got back from a day hunt in the area where I bagged my forked horn on opening day as a 2nd set of eyes to help my hunting buddy try and fill his tag before the season ends... We were hoping lightning would strike twice, but got skunked, never saw or heard a single critter except for the occasional woodpecker, squirrel, and two chipmunks.

I think the hunting pressure over the last 26 days has driven the deer off to the nether regions. I have another place to tap that is on private property, and the owner says he sees deer there all the time going for his apples.

Indeed. I stand out in the woods fairly well, with or without a hat. :s0155:

I'm not sure how I'll dye it for Elk season, but it should be equally as bright. :D

You should consider a nice shade of teal, zombie green, or turquoise! ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top