JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are many areas of tolerance on a 1911 that need attention if one wants accuracy;

On the barrel there are 5 areas that need proper fitting;

1 - Lower lugs and link, which force the barrel in the slide lugs.

2 - Barrel hood into breech face.. both width and length.

3 - Muzzle fit to barrel bushing.

4 - Barrel bushing fit to slide.

5 - Barrel lugs fit to slide lugs.

Slide to frame fit always helps as well. I've found the biggest bang for the buck for accuracy on a 1911 is the barrel bushing fit.

Having all the above tolerances checked and in spec is crucial for consistent lockup of the system for consistent accuracy...unfortunately some production 1911s fall short.
Watching one of the Wednesday night gun shows on The Sportsman's channel 722. Can't remember the company name now, but you would send your slide to them and they would fit their barrel to your slide. They mentioned they build their barrel just a few thousandths over spec and then measure and finish their new barrel to your slide in all the places you list above.

I own many M1911s.

Realize that one is dealing with many parts/moving parts in an M1911. Then, there are many parts to wear and fit, etc..... BUT, But, but.......one could try purchasing and fitting and building with the same parts. Even building them yourself and/or even purchasing two identical M1911 from a builder. YES, whatever.....

But for ME......LOL.......

"Adjustable Sights"

And, I moved on from there.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Watching one of the Wednesday night gun shows on The Sportsman's channel 722. Can't remember the company name now, but you would send your slide to them and they would fit their barrel to your slide. They mentioned they build their barrel just a few thousandths over spec and then measure and finish their new barrel to your slide in all the places you list above.
The downside...gotta have the frame the barrel is going to be used with to get the proper lower lug fit.

The downside...gotta have the frame the barrel is going to be used with to get the proper lower lug fit.
That would still be way less than one of the top builders wouldn't it? I wish I could remember the name now. I wouldn't be likely to do such a thing. But I see it as being something pretty cool, having your gun done like that. Depending on price of course. I'm not likely to ever have a 1911 for 2K or more.

If you have it done, you can bring it to me and I can check lower lug fit and adjust as needed...no charge
That's a great offer! I can't remember the name of the company. Me getting a gun accurized like that probably isn't really of any benefit to someone like me either.

Don't sell yourself short...everyone deserves accurate pistols and rifles.
Oh I get that. I've been spending all my limited time at the range shooting distance with long guns for too long. From rest mostly and some blasting at steel. Last time we were there I found I was terrible with our new Ronin 9mm. I seem to have lost the muscle memory for shooting handgun! I need to work on that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top