JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently took in trade a Springfield Armory Range Officer Compact frame in 9mm and am currently in search for a slide. Is there anything special I need to be aware of?

I have found a Kimber KHX Ultra slide assembly on Gunbroker. Will it fit?

I have many 1911 pistols so I am familiar with the guns but I don't want to spend $400-$500 dollars to find there is some little piece of the puzzle or brand nuance that I was not aware of.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

Ditto on the Caspian & I have the same SA ROC - great gun.

I refused to buy a 1911 for years because of a lousy experience shooting a beat up .45 when I was in my 20's (now 66....) I decided to go against my better judgement & buy one in Dec 2015 & bought 16 more since then. Colt, Para (a crap load of them), S&W, Springfield, GSG,, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson - everything from ..22 to 10 mm. I sold a few so I'm down to 11 but my EDC is a highly customized 9mm Para Hawg Hi-Cap 12+1. All the work was done by Danny Hasty who used to work at Para & now owns Heavy Armor Division in N.C.

Last Edited:
RE the Kimber slide on a Springfield frame - what sort of firing pin safety, if any does that slide have, and what does your frame accomodate?

IIRC, Kimbers pretty much use the Schwartz style firing pin safety, in which when you depress the grip safety, it also pushes up on the firing pin block. If you put a Kimber slide with this affair on a frame setup for original (no firing pin block) or Series 80 style - you won't be able to fire the gun. It will fit just fine, just, there won't be the corresponding pin on the grip safety to deactivate the block and thus your hammer will fall, strike the back of the firing pin, but it won't do anything, except maybe damage the firing pin, the firing pin block, or both.

Ahhhh, the often forgotten Schwartz safety. Exactly why I asked this question, I was afraid there was something I overlooked. You are correct they would not work together. Nice catch and thank you.

Any thoughts on Caspian vs Fusion slides?

RE the Kimber slide on a Springfield frame - what sort of firing pin safety, if any does that slide have, and what does your frame accomodate?

IIRC, Kimbers pretty much use the Schwartz style firing pin safety, in which when you depress the grip safety, it also pushes up on the firing pin block. If you put a Kimber slide with this affair on a frame setup for original (no firing pin block) or Series 80 style - you won't be able to fire the gun. It will fit just fine, just, there won't be the corresponding pin on the grip safety to deactivate the block and thus your hammer will fall, strike the back of the firing pin, but it won't do anything, except maybe damage the firing pin, the firing pin block, or both.
The series II guns indeed use a Schwartz safety system, but there quite a few that don't. Mostly the "Custom Shop" models or special runs.

I have built from Fusion, Caspian, CK, STI, and Para slides/frames, Make sure your breach face is 9mm, and that you use a high pressure rated (9mm/10mm) Extractor and proper height/reach ejector blade! Hard to beat Fusion slides and Caspian, especially if your after the classic look! Don't be afraid of the slides that Sarco sells, many are ether Para or Colt Mil Surplus that were never used/fitted! Take it slow when fitting the slide, get it close and then use the fine rail stones to finish and then lap them in with a medium fine grit compound!

Ahhhh, the often forgotten Schwartz safety. Exactly why I asked this question, I was afraid there was something I overlooked. You are correct they would not work together. Nice catch and thank you.

Any thoughts on Caspian vs Fusion slides?

Both good stuff, and I'm contemplating eventually getting a Caspian commander slide to swap onto my own Kimber to make it more carry comfy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top