JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an ATI Officer's model stainless 1911. I know. I know. It was a pity purchase from a friend who needed money. Amazingly enough, that thing was more accurate than it had any right to be. I actually enjoyed shooting it. The other day I was at the range shooting some of my own reloads when the gun stopped because the slide AND THE BARREL both came backward and jammed up the pistol. It was tight. I couldn't push them back forward, nor even drop the magazine. Everything was locked.
At home I removed the magazine baseplate and removed the spring, follower, and all live rounds still in the gun. I placed the nose of the dust cover on a wooden block and beat the back of the slide with a nylon hammer until it finally came off the frame. Turns out the lug on the bottom of the barrel that holds the camming link had broken off of the barrel. Has anyone ever seen this before?
I am a very careful reloader, looking into each case to check the powder charge. The recoil and report did not seem unusual, other than the strange feel when both barrel and slide came way too far backward.
A call to ATI got me a new barrel for a Titan, but it didn't fit. This gun is an older design. I sent the whole gun in to them. Still waiting for a diagnosis and prognosis. I don't know yet if they even have a new barrel to fit this gun. I hope so. I kinda liked that POS.

I had a link break (back in the 60's) and I've seen the pin sheared off. Both of those were US Army issued 1911's that, from the look of them, probably had unimaginably high round counts. I've never seen or even heard of what you're describing.

Its not hard to fit a barrel to a 1911 but it does require some special tools. The fit areas on on the barrel hood, the lug and the barrel bushing up front. I've done several with no experience following just youtube videos.

The advantage is a nicely fit match barrel increases accuracy.

They should be able to fit one for you unless they decide it is out of warranty or something.

Oh yes. I know all too well.

396643-99a8af25974e161727065b6a4d3f0ac1.jpg

P1050339.jpg

Last Edited:
Bottom lugs broke off but, the link is still good?
I am not certain of the right terminology. I am calling the piece that is part of the barrel that the link attaches to, the lug. The link was still attached to that piece, which had sheared off right at the surface of the barrel (or chamber area if you will). The link was still held in place by the link pin. I wish I had taken pics. Too late now. The whole gun is at ATI.

Its not hard to fit a barrel to a 1911 but it does require some special tools. The fit areas on on the barrel hood, the lug and the barrel bushing up front. I've done several with no experience following just youtube videos.

The advantage is a nicely fit match barrel increases accuracy.

They should be able to fit one for you unless they decide it is out of warranty or something.
This model is bushingless, with tapered barrel.

Take a look at the very bottom of the lug. It looks like the end is battered. A look at the frame where the lug contacts would probably show it better. The nature of the crack points more towards the lug being the culprit.

Take a look at the very bottom of the lug. It looks like the end is battered. A look at the frame where the lug contacts would probably show it better. The nature of the crack points more towards the lug being the culprit.
I ended up sending the whole gun to ATI for a fix. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top