JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which 1911 40 cal would you get if you wanted one?

• Total voters
Reactions
Which 1911 40 cal would you get if you wanted one? Target shooting.

Para Ordnance Pro Comp .40 S/W
Wilson CQB 40
DAN WESSON SSC Single Stack Classic
Sig Sauer 1911 Max Michel 40 S&W
Dan Wesson PM7-40
STI Trojan

Last Edited:
DW SSC with 357sig barrel installed at 25 yards. The best of all worlds. Good luck finding a SSC.
This was a six inch bull I might add. Very accurate pistol. I also converted my Fusion Bobtail Commander in 40 to 357sig. What can I say, I love 357sig.
CJ4A0317.JPG CJ4A0316.JPG

Last Edited:
Colt made a stainless 1911 in the 1990's in .40 S&W. Probably a hard to find unit now, but I remember years ago passing on a nice one for $500.

I've mentioned the following here before. For a while, I had a Springfield Armory Inc. Linkless 1911 in .40 S&W, it worked flawlessly. I've since discovered that it was / is a fairly rare gun. They made the Linkless in 10mm Auto in greater quantities. I think the top end was German made for SAI.

Now that .40 S&W as a cartridge seems to have fallen into disfavor, chances are there won't be a great many .40 opportunities in 1911 pistols. Of those still offered, they may be low production and hard to find.

I went with SIG, a nightmare 40sw on clearance. Converted to 357sig with a factory barrel found on ebay after a 2 year search. Same results as listed above, accurate and perfect function. I'm pretty happy with the SIG accuracy with both calibers. I've been considering adding a DW to my collection in 40sw as well. I'm sure both would be fine for you.

I went with SIG, a nightmare 40sw on clearance. Converted to 357sig with a factory barrel found on ebay after a 2 year search. ... I've been considering adding a DW to my collection in 40sw. I'm sure both would be fine for you.
Did that with an early model Kimber 1911, 4", in 40 S&W factory bull barrel, steel slide on an alum. frame, (takes full size mags), it's light for carry and shoots straight. Picked up a 4.5" 357 SIG bull barrel that also shoots even better, with a hotter round for barrier penetration. One of my favorite carry pistols. Own DW in 9 and 10mm, classic, sweet shooters, just not into carrying full size steel guns anymore.

Mostly started carrying polymer in S&W M&P or Glock, if used - I won't be out much surrendering them to maybe get returned someday. The M&Ps barrel switch from 9-40-357 SIG when based on the 40 frames, whether the original 1.0 or newer 2.0 versions. 9 takes different mags, 40-357 take the same mags. If you start with the 9mm framed M&P, (or anything else) you can't easily switch to 40-357 SIG.

Have a Para P-16/40 S&W, with a Clark-10mm barrel, that's a nice shooter. Mags work in both calibers.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews