JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think that if you are a good shooter it doesn't matter much. You have more knock down power with .45 and more distance with 9mm. If I put two rounds in your chest and one in your head, it won't matter what I shot you with.....9mm or .45 cal. Also price of ammo, recoil of the round, capacity, total gun+ammo weight..... these are all things you have to think about. I am a big guy....big hand and I can carry the weight so I like .45, but sometimes I have joint pain and don't feel like having something heavy with a big recoil, so I like 9mm.
I say have both lol and yes I too like 40.

“The stopping power of any handgun bullet turns out to be a function of its ability to disrupt vital bodily functions, not the diameter or weight or initial shape of the bullet that strikes the victim”.
~Chuck Hawkes~

.380 acp, 9mm, .357 sig, .40 s&w, .45acp...properly placed will all do the job. Shoot the one you can afford to practice with the most and control. There are plenty of RELIABLE expanding type hollow points out there. Cor-bon Power'n ball, Hornady critical defense etc.

The key is being able to hit something. Even a 230 grain winchester ranger in .45 not placed in the chest, head, or pelvis, won't take someone down, at least not right away. Everyone has their opinion. 9mm generally higher capacity, .45 more knock down power. Got both and like both. I'm a 10mm guy for personal defense, but like I said, everyone has their opinion.

I prefer roman candles, but my backup is a 9mm (or .357, or .38). But I do prefer roman candles due to the 'shock' value inherent in seeing a wave of fireballs coming at you.

I prefer roman candles, but my backup is a 9mm (or .357, or .38). But I do prefer roman candles due to the 'shock' value inherent in seeing a wave of fireballs coming at you.

Tough to carry concealed and really hard to get the first shot off and if it's raining how do you light the match?

I carry a .45 unless in my bathrobe at home, then it's only a .380, in the car it's a 44 Spec.

Tough to carry concealed and really hard to get the first shot off and if it's raining how do you light the match?.

I'm tempted to say that you just stuff one down your pants leg, and when the evil bad guy comes at you you just point to your leg and smile. This of course brings back memories of his time in jail, and thus makes him flee right then and there. But I won't even mention that because this is an ORIGINAL and IMPORTANT thread that will FINALLY answer the question as to which caliber is best! :s0054:

Judging by the 45 believers, only 8 rounds are allowed to be shot if you own a 45. Sounds like a certain group of people are living about 99 years out of date. Not saying who ;) but I am just sayin.

I will take 17 rounds of 9 over 8 rounds of 45 any day. But I like my 17 rounds of 40. But 15 rounds of 45 is sweet, screw 8.

My first .45 (which I carried for 15+ years) would hold 13 with one up the pipe. When I traded into my CBOB, it went down the road. So I'm packin 9 .45s and never feel undergunned.
I'm not a big guy and deal with recoil well, but I never, ever thought a .45 really "kicked". Even when it was an Officer's sized, aluminum framed gun.
In the woods, I pack my .41 Mag. On the streets, it's my .45.
If you shoot them all well, I'd suggest the .45. If you're worried about capacity, buy a Para or an STI, or even a Glock (if you can wrap your hand around that one!).

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top