JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...but the recoil on 45 is greater causing the flinch effect on even seasoned cops...so many police forces use the 40 acp.

I've fired the 45, 40, and 9mm. I would say the 45 is the easiest recoil of all three. According to some FBI reports, the 40 was chosen because of ballistic performance; I don't recall reading that the recoil of a 45 was ever considered a problem (especially when compared to .357).

I enjoy big bores... I own 9's, but haven't shot a single round in years. They aren't even considered for self defense.
I regularly carry either one of my Rugers in .45 LC, or the Smith 624 in .44 SPL.
The 1911 is a nice gun, but I find the revolvers more reliable and pleasant to shoot.
Loadings for the revolvers are in excess of .45 ACP, so I get more muzzle energy with a heavier bullet that has less recoil. And I can use more SWC's...
The bottom line is that it's all good...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Every time I've shot a zombie with a handgun, I've shot them with both a 9mm and a .45... just to be sure.

But capacity and where you hit them aside, why wouldnt you want the bigger hole?

The only downside with .45 is that if you kill enough zombies, it gets pretty expensive these days.

Now if I was to kill a zombie with a 45, it would come form a full-size stainless steel 1911.

If I was to kill a zombie with a 9mm, it would come from a HK P30L with an (as of yet imaginary) match trigger.

According to the stats in Evan "Morgue Monster" Marshall's book "Stopping Power: A practical analysis of the latest handgun ammunition"

9mm
Load Total Stops %
Fed 115gr +P+ 189 172 91
Win 115gr +P+ 150 135 90%

Load Total Stops %
230gr HS 173 166 96
185gr GS 83 80 96%

Both calibers perform well given good shot placement. Which can YOU shoot well?

*The Totals are recorded shootings where only one round was shot into the torso. A Stop is where the BG is incapacitated within a few seconds.

Shooting ball, like the kids at war right now

9mm 115 ball (not NATO spec mind you) 70%

45 230 ball is only 62%

http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=18&Weight=230

http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=15&Weight=115

I love the big bore. I carried a kimber for some time and also a ruger P90. I am a huge fan of .45. That being said.

I carry a 9mm. WHY? Because I can afford to shoot it ALOT. I fire on average 250 to 500 rounds out of my carry gun each month. I like to know that it shoots when and where I need it to. I am very skilled with it and I feel very confident with it. If I could afford to shoot .45 the way I do my 9 I would still be carrying a great looking kimber or my old SIG. Whne I have my press set up and can reload, I will probably shoot .45 again.

I also know where the lead will hit with the ammo I carry. I always shoot arouund half a box of carry ammo when I purchase it. Currently I am carrying Black Talons and they shoot spot on out of my G-19.

BIGFOOT

I should have said, which is more effective for stopping a threat?? to get real specific, one bullet, same shot placement, distance, angle... the only thing not constant would be caliber. which caliber would work best?

45 = Bigger hole

45acpposter.jpg

Of the two I prefer 9mm. College + entry-level job can get hard on the fundage, 9mm is almost half the price of 45.

Your primary defensive weapon needs to be used and used and used some more by you. It's no good with no practice.

ok, I feel that I can confidently shoot 9, 40 and 45 pretty much to the same degree out of the same platform.

I should have said, which is more effective for stopping a threat?? to get real specific, one bullet, same shot placement, distance, angle... the only thing not constant would be caliber. which caliber would work best?

Those peramiters, .45. No question, although both other calibers have there merits as well, and are well accepted and defended personal defense rounds.

I will get technical here. A .45 ACP will create a larger damage path than a 9mm when comparing the same type of bullet. However shot placement is the most important thing. A .22 through the heart will do more to stop a thug than a .45 through the arm or thigh.

I would suggest trying a variety of handguns in a variety of calibers and see which one you can be the most consistent with. Once you have found the one you will be the most consistent with then you can practice and train to put two rounds center mass at 25 feet in 3 seconds or less.

45 - until service weapons started coming out in 9mm, you never heard anyone talk about "double tapping" - it's mandatory with a 9mm, overkill with a 45

I've fired the 45, 40, and 9mm. I would say the 45 is the easiest recoil of all three. According to some FBI reports, the 40 was chosen because of ballistic performance; I don't recall reading that the recoil of a 45 was ever considered a problem (especially when compared to .357).

I can handle the 40 much better than I can the 45. It is snappier, but my follow-up shots are much quicker and more accurate with a 40 than a 45 but I have to say that the 1911 is the best gun ever designed.

no matter how you rationalize it, 9mm is for limp wristed pansies or wimps... and 45 ACP is just trying to make up for lack of size somewhere else... that said, I own and love both to cover all the bases!!

First of all, nice thread dig!

Secondly, it doesn't matter what caliber you use if you use this stuff:
View attachment 205777

Mall Ninjas ^

According to their website, a single .380 killed a 300lb. wild boar! Not only did it kill him, but I bet it butchered him, made BLTs out of him, and cleaned up the dishes afterwards.

That's good enough for me........ :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads