JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you can hit something with your first shot from a .45 then go with that. If you need 17+1 of 9mm to zero in on your target, then that is for you. I say +1 on the .40, personally.

ok, I feel that I can confidently shoot 9, 40 and 45 pretty much to the same degree out of the same platform.

I should have said, which is more effective for stopping a threat?? to get real specific, one bullet, same shot placement, distance, angle... the only thing not constant would be caliber. which caliber would work best?

I like shooting the .45 out of full sized steel handguns.. same goes for the 10mm. 9mm shoots nice out of the lighter weapons and gives the added bonus of capacity.

Personally, I'm planning on carrying either my Beretta 92 or picking up FDE/SS XD45(still having trouble deciding). If your using good ammunition it really is personal preference. Aim center of mass and don't stop shooting till the threat stops.

Having assisted at many autopsies of gunshot victims, and given the parameters of the question now..."same shot placement, distance, angle..." It would always be best to have the largest wound cavity possible.........so...

I'm surprised at the number of fans of the .40 sohrt & weak there are.

I like .45. I shoot it well. If you need more than 8 rounds practice your reloading technique.

According to the stats in Evan "Morgue Monster" Marshall's book "Stopping Power: A practical analysis of the latest handgun ammunition"

9mm
Load Total Stops %
Fed 115gr +P+ 189 172 91
Win 115gr +P+ 150 135 90%

Load Total Stops %
230gr HS 173 166 96
185gr GS 83 80 96%

Both calibers perform well given good shot placement. Which can YOU shoot well?

*The Totals are recorded shootings where only one round was shot into the torso. A Stop is where the BG is incapacitated within a few seconds.

Unless the shot goes in the snot locker, with determination, people can live 1-2+ minutes......and a lot of damage can be done in that amount of time.

So shot placement is always paramount over everything.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews