JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i agree with kevlar. my newest book [speer #14] doesnt even show 180 or 200 grn bullets. it stops at 170grn and shows a max charge of 15.2 grains of h110. it does show a 180 grn loading for 357 mag silhouette h110 at 16.1 grains.

The .357 Magnum remains the most popular Double Action Magnum Revolver round in the U.S. With heavy for caliber WFNGC bullets at 1200 + fps from a 4" barrel, The .357 penetrates all out of proportion to its size. With a .28" meplat (the same size found on the original Keith 250 gr. .44 SPL/Mag. bullet), it creates a similar tissue damage pattern. Further the K-Frame grip size found on today's L frame S&W 686 gives the best double action trigger reach for most hand sizes. This combination of a popular defensive caliber, with high penetration rounds, in a controlable double action revolver makes a very comforting backwoods combination for many outdoorsmen.

I just ordered a box of 200 gr. FTX bullets to test in my H&R Handi Rifle chambered in .357 mag. They should be here ~Thursday next.

As a gift, I received a box of 140 gr. FTX and worked up a load for those with a COAL of 1.86". This COAL gives the bullet ~1/8" bullet jump and seating depth of ~.20" in my rifle that has the long SAAMI throated chamber.

Load is as follows:

Case trimmed to 1.283"
Primer CCI500
Powder IMR4227, 20 gr. (+.1,-.2), slightly compressed.
Bullet Hornady 140 gr. FTX, seated ~.2"
Cartridge OAL, 1.86"
Calculated/estimated MV, 2050fps
Computed (Powley) pressure, 43400 CUP (NOT psi)

I have thoroughly tested this load in my rifle and it shows no signs of excess pressure.......NONE. Your rifle may be different. Check your chamber throat for adequate depth and work up slowly/standard safety procedures.

140 gr FTX load.jpg

140 gr FTX load.jpg

I picked up the 200 gr. FTX's yesterday. Worked up a load starting at 16.1 gr. of IMR4227, then 17.1 gr, then 18 gr. Stopped at 18.5 gr. when the case began showing slight signs of excess pressure. then I dropped back to 16.7 gr. That's where my Lee auto disc measure with the 1.36 hole worked best. The next hole up was over 19 gr. 10% off 18.5 is 16.65 so that is a good safe load in my rifle. I would consider 18 gr. of IMR4227 maximum with this bullet/case combo.

Load is Case OAL is 1.285", primer CCI 400, 16.7 gr. IMR 4227, Bullet 200 gr. FTX (Hornady) and COAL is 2.15". MV is a WAG, but should be in the vicinity of 1650????

Makes a fine looking cartridge. The longer one is the length touching the lands (2.25") and the shorter one is my loaded cartridge (2.15" COAL).

Of course this is a cartridge for single shot firearms with the long throated SAAMI chamber.

I have a devoted web page for this rifle and loads at Handi Rifle

200FTXloads.jpg

Last Edited:
How is that 16" barrel for flash and noise. I have that same rifle and suspected that it could be loaded very heavy. I have a 2x7 scope on it. I have also tried what I call quiet loads, 180g lead seated deep with a light trailboss load. Do you know how to work on the trigger on these?

Thanks. Makes a pretty good "BOOM" with heavy loads, but doesn't bother my ears without plugs. But then my ears aren't what they used to be, either. It's like a .22 with my mouse loads. For targets and mice, I use a 148 HBWC over ~3 gr. of Trailboss. A fun load for plinking and very small critters.

The trigger on mine was very heavy, but crisp with no creep at all. Over use it has gotten much lighter and now it is perfectly acceptable in my view. Try this page. Making the NEF Handi Rifle Better

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top