JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had an interesting experience with a Fiocchi round today. I loaded up a magazine with 30 rounds. After 25 rounds there was no issue. Pulled the trigger. Click. Dropped the magazine and tried ejecting the round and my bolt was stuck. Opened up the gun and was able to remove the bolt and to my surprise there was a case stuck with no primer. "I've seen this before" I thought to myself. Drove home and pushed a cleaning rod through to get the round out and that's when things got really interesting. The bullet was still in the case unmoved. Looking at the primer pocket, I saw there was no hole in the pocket for the spark to ignite the powder. Looks like a QC issue to me. I emailed Fiocchi and am now waiting on a response.
20190302_154026.jpg 20190302_154037.jpg

Damn. I'm actually pretty surprised! They've been one of THE most accurate and quality manufacturers I've ever used!

Small update. Pulled the bullet and it still had all the powder inside. Took a look inside the case and confirmed there is no hole in the bottom for the primer to spark the powder. 20190302_204134.jpg

Had an interesting experience with a Fiocchi round today. I loaded up a magazine with 30 rounds. After 25 rounds there was no issue. Pulled the trigger. Click. Dropped the magazine and tried ejecting the round and my bolt was stuck. Opened up the gun and was able to remove the bolt and to my surprise there was a case stuck with no primer. "I've seen this before" I thought to myself. Drove home and pushed a cleaning rod through to get the round out and that's when things got really interesting. The bullet was still in the case unmoved. Looking at the primer pocket, I saw there was no hole in the pocket for the spark to ignite the powder. Looks like a QC issue to me. I emailed Fiocchi and am now waiting on a response.
View attachment 554096 View attachment 554098

That lot was probably made on a Friday or Monday. Do you rremember a lot of issues with cars back in the day being made on a Friday or Monday?:eek::eek::eek:

I do hope they will make it right.;)

I see there's clearly no flash hole, but because I'm a bit OCD, was there a primer? Would you be willing to share the Lot information? So others can at least check their supplies before head out to the range...
There definitely was a primer. It was a 50 round box of ammo. The lot number is 0730851082.

things I see that are not right
shoulder deformed and excessive crimp
and filthy case,
was that the upc or The ammunition Lot number is stamped inside the box tuck flap

things I see that are not right
shoulder deformed and excessive crimp
and filthy case,
was that the upc or The ammunition Lot number is stamped inside the box tuck flap
Shoulder deformed cause primer detonated with no where to go. Pushed the case forward into chamber causing damage to case. Case is dirty cause of a day of shooting. And that was the lot number.

I've seen that one before.

That's a primer detonation without a flash hole.

Very rare, but 100% manufacturers error. Case missed a step somehow.

I'd double check your bolt, extractor and firing pin.

The deformed case is due to the primer charge and pressure that occurred behind the case, between the bolt face and back of cartridge. That detonation pushed the loaded cartridge forward and into the chamber further damaging the case and deforming it. The dirtiness is from what ever charge was in the primer going around the case once it found the room.

I'm not entirely sure if a primers compound has enough energy to produce high pressures, it does have enough energy and pressure to push a bullet down a bore without added powder, but I'd be measuring everything on this gun now to verify nothing bulged or changed spec wise.

I'm going to say Fiochi will take care of you on this one. They should.

I've seen that one before.

That's a primer detonation without a flash hole.

Very rare, but 100% manufacturers error. Case missed a step somehow.

I'd double check your bolt, extractor and firing pin.

The deformed case is due to the primer charge and pressure that occurred behind the case, between the bolt face and back of cartridge. That detonation pushed the loaded cartridge forward and into the chamber further damaging the case and deforming it. The dirtiness is from what ever charge was in the primer going around the case once it found the room.

I'm not entirely sure if a primers compound has enough energy to produce high pressures, it does have enough energy and pressure to push a bullet down a bore without added powder, but I'd be measuring everything on this gun now to verify nothing bulged or changed spec wise.

I'm going to say Fiochi will take care of you on this one. They should.
Exactly. Once I got the gun home I disassembled and inspected the bolt and chamber. I loaded some American Eagle 300 blackout and fired off a few rounds with no issues. Cases looked perfect. No over pressure signs whatsoever. I'm considering myself lucky on this one. I am expecting an email back first thing tomorrow from Fiocchi. If not I will he giving them a call.

Exactly. Once I got the gun home I disassembled and inspected the bolt and chamber. I loaded some American Eagle 300 blackout and fired off a few rounds with no issues. Cases looked perfect. No over pressure signs whatsoever. I'm considering myself lucky on this one. I am expecting an email back first thing tomorrow from Fiocchi. If not I will he giving them a call.
Awesome. Ya it's hard to say, some 300 bulk uses rifle primers some uses pistol primers. They both have energy to them so it's hard to say if it's enough to damage anything. However metal is made to give in places on the AR so I'd be cautious. If you have a set of 300blk go no go gauges it wouldn't hurt to check.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top