JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I routinely use 110s with 12 grains of Unique in .30-30.
Very accurate in all my Winchesters.

IMG_1297[1].JPG

A friend loads up some 110 grain Hornaday's in .308, with Trailboss; for his daughter. The load chronos about 1900 fps. She dropped her first deer, first shot.

The 100 grain Speer 'Plinkers' MIGHT bet a touch more accurate and to be honest the only reason I went to the 110 FMJ was because Sportsman's happened to be out of them but had the 110s for a dollar more per box so I thought I'd give them a try. NO difference in loading other than resulting in a shorter OAL length than the Plinkers but not much.

The plinkers have a 'half jacket' so bullet seating depth is pretty basic - simply leave about a 1/32" of the jacket above the rim of the case and crimp.

Another good alternative to both are the 110 grain HPFN Speer 'Varminter' bullets. They are only a couple bucks more per box than the Plinkers but are a pretty nice bullet as well with a hollow point and have a cannelure for easy seating depth.' I have used these as well and are also very accurate.

I can get the Xtreme 110 plated for about .10 per bullet shipped so that is my rational but reality is I can buy the Plinkers locally for like $12.99 per box so thats only like .13 per bullet. Is three cents enough of a savings to risk approx. $50 for a box of 500 plated that I have never used before and don't know their performance?

I think I'll email them and see if I can get a sample pack from them!

Bottom line is there are some very good alternatives for inexpensive .30 loading & shooting - especially with .30-30 - as opposed to standard 150 or 170 grain typical bullets - Or lead which can cause fits of poor accuracy in some guns. A while back I tried some T & B 165 gr. LFN in my 100 year Comem with terrible accuracy.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top