JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I routinely use 110s with 12 grains of Unique in .30-30.
Very accurate in all my Winchesters.

IMG_1297[1].JPG

A friend loads up some 110 grain Hornaday's in .308, with Trailboss; for his daughter. The load chronos about 1900 fps. She dropped her first deer, first shot.

The 100 grain Speer 'Plinkers' MIGHT bet a touch more accurate and to be honest the only reason I went to the 110 FMJ was because Sportsman's happened to be out of them but had the 110s for a dollar more per box so I thought I'd give them a try. NO difference in loading other than resulting in a shorter OAL length than the Plinkers but not much.

The plinkers have a 'half jacket' so bullet seating depth is pretty basic - simply leave about a 1/32" of the jacket above the rim of the case and crimp.

Another good alternative to both are the 110 grain HPFN Speer 'Varminter' bullets. They are only a couple bucks more per box than the Plinkers but are a pretty nice bullet as well with a hollow point and have a cannelure for easy seating depth.' I have used these as well and are also very accurate.

I can get the Xtreme 110 plated for about .10 per bullet shipped so that is my rational but reality is I can buy the Plinkers locally for like $12.99 per box so thats only like .13 per bullet. Is three cents enough of a savings to risk approx. $50 for a box of 500 plated that I have never used before and don't know their performance?

I think I'll email them and see if I can get a sample pack from them!

Bottom line is there are some very good alternatives for inexpensive .30 loading & shooting - especially with .30-30 - as opposed to standard 150 or 170 grain typical bullets - Or lead which can cause fits of poor accuracy in some guns. A while back I tried some T & B 165 gr. LFN in my 100 year Comem with terrible accuracy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top