JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hearing some talk and watching some Videos on you tube,
Talking about the 10 mm as a weapon for bear defense. And while i suppose it beats hell out of throwing rocks , I think there freakin nutz.
If i am worried about bears i,m taking a 45/70 or at least a properly loaded .308.
I'm sure you can kill a griz with a 10mm , but i don't like the chances of doing it quick enough to save your bubblegum.
I'm a city boy. never seen a grizzly outside a cage. I just bought a my 2nd 10mm. The new Ruger.
Lots of fun, and if i got close enough i would shoot a deer with it. But a grizzly ?
Good luck ...tj3006

A kid on one of those Alaska adventure shows dropped a meddling grizzly with his AR15.

I kind if thought that was impressive considering he lives there and didnt appear to think twice about grabbing the AR

The 10mm will make fine work out of most four legged critters on this continent. With the right load of course. ;)

Talking about the 10 mm as a weapon for bear defense. And while i suppose it beats hell out of throwing rocks , I think there freakin nutz.
If i am worried about bears i,m taking a 45/70 or at least a properly loaded .308.
I'm sure you can kill a griz with a 10mm , but i don't like the chances of doing it quick enough to save your bubblegum.
I'm a city boy. never seen a grizzly outside a cage. I just bought a my 2nd 10mm. The new Ruger.
Lots of fun, and if i got close enough i would shoot a deer with it. But a grizzly ?
Good luck ...tj3006

I have not seen anyone talking about hunting the Browns with a 10mm. Anyone who wanted to I would think is asking to win a Darwin Award. I have seen many talking about a gun to carry in the great outdoors here in the PNW. The discussion was for both 4 legged and 2 legged threats, not for hunting. For this use I think the 10mm is great but we don't have the Bears of the Brown family up here to worry about. For me the 10mm would be my first pick for a couple reasons. I like autos, and to me the far bigger threat is 2 legged not 4. So the 10mm will work fine on the 2, and in a pinch would be good, not perfect, but good, on the 4 legged ones we have here.

I carry a mix of these in the G20 magazines

IMG_3986.JPG

Good luck ...tj3006
I think there's lore everywhere. Now I haven't had to kill or run into a brown. I have ran into lots of black bear. Healthy bears with little people interaction are the best. They gtf away from you fast. Surprisingly they move pretty fast. They run pretty funny though. Lol. Big bouncing butts.

Seriously though, I carry a 9mm most of the time in Oregon. It's enough. But if I lived in grizzly bear territory I'm packing my Redhawk 44 mag 7 inch. I just got myself a 10mm but...the reality is how much do I want to invest into it to do what a Stout 357 mag will do (depending on Barre length). It is absolutely not going to wreck something as badly as my Redhawk.

A kid on one of those Alaska adventure shows dropped a meddling grizzly with his AR15.

I kind if thought that was impressive considering he lives there and didnt appear to think twice about grabbing the AR

Haven't read the whole thread, but an experienced guide recently dropped a brown bear with a 9mm:

Alaska Outfitter Defends Fishermen from Raging Grizzly with 9mm Pistol

Wouldn't be my first choice, but placement and proper ammo count as much as anything else. Personally, when I carry "in the field" I carry a S&W 329 PD with hot .44 magnum loads.

there is a guy on You tube shots a bear skull square in the forehead from about 3 inches. I certainly punches through but i just cant see a live bear posing like that for you.
...tj3006

Improvement in marksmanship under stress, 4-5 rounds left over.... BAM!

(Mic drop through "magma" and into lunar orbit) :D

Missed under duress, plenty more to get lucky with. 13-14 more chances while running and finding cover.

(Mic dropped and still falling past Pluto) :D

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR