10mm for big bears !

Discussion in 'Semi-Automatic Pistols' started by tj3006, Jul 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Misteramax

Misteramax
    Lebanon, or.

Totally. This is a well known video. When it came out, I remember the description saying g26. I thought it was very telling to internet lore. Dropped pretty fast.

I tried pausing the video to see if it might be a 29. Seeing if it has a rail or not. Can't tell. In any case...even if it was a 10mm, with that short of a barrel, ballistics wise, it shows how any 9mm, 45, or 40 can put something down.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  2. NCW_Robert

NCW_Robert
    Wenatchee

I was going to ad a link to this same story.

It was all about the right bullets and shot placement.

There is no doubt a 10mm would have the right stuff if it is loaded with the right ammo and you could handle yourself. You know, not just crap yourself and freeze making yourself a grizzly snack when you face a bellowing snorting 7 ft tall 500 lb bear at 6 ft.....

A glock 40 is on my want list, its big, its bad, it hold lots of ammo and comes rod dot sight ready. I like it and think it would make a great home defense gun where you need to go big and outgun the intruder. if I lived in an area that had hogs, id hunt those with it, might work for deer also at close range. If I was planing to carry one, as in bear country, it would be the glock 20 though.

~

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Alexx1401 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Benchrest

Benchrest
    The Desert Planet

I wouldn't get your hopes up :D

4. Stomper

Stomper
    SCREW YOU SALEM!!
    SCREW YOU SALEM! Gold Supporter

And with a G21 or G30, the moose would have been gravy. :D

(EDITED: G20 to G21.... because 45ACP is awesome.)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Alexx1401, Ura-Ki and etrain16 like this.
  5. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Nah, the moose would have turned tail and run - screaming like a little girl all the way :p

Alexx1401, Ura-Ki and Stomper like this.
  6. Stomper

Stomper
    SCREW YOU SALEM!!
    SCREW YOU SALEM! Gold Supporter

Then THAT means it's antlers we're knocked off.... not tooooo bad for a single shot placed ANYWHERE. :D

Ura-Ki and etrain16 like this.
  7. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington

The only use I would have for a 10mm around an angry Grizzly(or any other breed) is to put one into the head of whomever I might be with! And, I Ain't kidding. If the Bear take the bait I "might" sneak back and try for a head shot(in one ear and out of the other) on the Bear. And That would have to be the biggest/heaviest and hottest loaded round I could find.

A Double Barreled 12ga. using the proper "HOT" Slug Load would be my next choice. Presuming the Season wasn't open. If season is open: Then a modest .458 Winchester Magnum with 500ga. Soft Points would be proper!:s0014:

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Sub Light Speed
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Apparently you need some alone time with my STI double stack 10 mm and a box or three of the good stuff, Just clean it up when yer done:D
    That pistola will cure what ever ails ya, including Glockites, that burning itch in the man parts region, to rid your self of a Block the first time you handle a 1911 in 10 mm:p:p:p

etrain16 and Alexx1401 like this.
  9. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

That STI makes my man parts tingle every time I look at one because I am such a die hard 1911 fanboy. If it's wasn't for the stupid new law and the glut in the market I have little doubt I would have sold some stuff by now to buy one of those. Probably good thing in a way. Almost every time I sell something to buy something else, I soon miss the stuff I sold. Always "just one more gun" :)

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon

You need some time around a full grown male brown bear - then you would probably reconsider the use of any handgun for bear defense.

Benchrest likes this.
  11. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

People packing a hand gun for a Bear problem are the same as those of us who sometimes carry a .32 or .380 or even a .22 for 2 legged. Not everyone is willing to pack a rifle or shotgun with them. Either in the city or in the woods. Chances of running into a Bear are slim if you use some common sense. Chances are good that if you do and use your head you will come away with nothing more than a great story of seeing one in the wild. If one does decide to attack the pistol you do have beats the shotgun or rifle that's back at camp or home. Just like with the 2 legged threats. The 2 legged ones are far more dangerous yet few of use will always keep a "best hand gun" with us even for them. I don't think I'm seeing anyone here suggesting they are going to hunt any Bear with one of these, especially not a member of the Brown family.

AndyinEverson and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

My Dad lived way up in AK for about a decade after the pipeline. LOVED it. I still have the Dan Wesson .357 he bought for just this. He was fishing and a young moose started to wander to him out of curiosity. Soon here came mom charging him. He had to run out into a river. He bought the .357 with 8" tube that day. Carried it in a shoulder holster from then on. Never had to use it. He said in town around there where they lived the Moose were the thing people were very wary of much more than Bear. Damn animals were known for doing what that one did. Perceive a human as threat and charge them.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  13. NCW_Robert

NCW_Robert
    Wenatchee

I got to agree on the 1911 type guns, I just bought my first one, a SA TRP. I could do a 1911 in 10mm but I would go for the RIA not the STI. I just looked up the STI guns and that is outa my budget range. So was the TRP I bought but when I found her I decided to "just do it". One and done...

That STI perfect 10 in hard chrome.... OMG :eek::rolleyes::)

~

14. tj3006

tj3006
    portland ore

I would put it like this.
    If grizzly was curious about you , just sniffing around and got so close you could shoot it strait in the forehead point blank you might be fine. but if he is charging you and you need to hit a moving target odds are defiantly against you. Now if you are treed and you can shoot down on the bears spine ! but any thing short of a big bore rifle shotgun or maybe a 500 Smith n Wesson , And you are in deep dark dodo !

Misteramax likes this.
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Sub Light Speed
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Let me introduce you to one of my neighbors! He gets a bit crabby if things don't go his way, but is other wise a good neighbor. Now if I were out working the gardens or around the wood piles and he decided not to be friendly any more, A 10 mm is plenty gun enough! Is it practical to carry a rifle or shot gun whilst working, No, BUT a side arm is, so that what I gots! BTW, the RCMP issues 10 mm to its deputies for dealing with polar bears, so there is that proof that the 10 is good for big aggressive bears!!! Big Colorado Grizzly.
    bear.jpg
    big-grizzly-bears-up.jpg

16. tj3006

tj3006
    portland ore

Ok pal

17. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon

I totally agree. That is why I carry a 329PD and not my 460V.

I just think that one should not be overconfident when carrying any handgun as bear protection.

AndyinEverson, Alexx1401 and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. Benchrest

Benchrest
    The Desert Planet

The only time I go into bear county is when I'm accompanied by someone who's shorter, fatter, and slower.

Those types are hard to come by these days :)

19. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

If I could carry an M60 I would still crap myself if one of the big browns charged me. :confused::confused:

20. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

Damn they are such beautiful animals!!