JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There was no info in the description, but if a g26 did that, then a g29 would have been gravy.
Totally. This is a well known video. When it came out, I remember the description saying g26. I thought it was very telling to internet lore. Dropped pretty fast.

I tried pausing the video to see if it might be a 29. Seeing if it has a rail or not. Can't tell. In any case...even if it was a 10mm, with that short of a barrel, ballistics wise, it shows how any 9mm, 45, or 40 can put something down.

Last Edited:
Haven't read the whole thread, but an experienced guide recently dropped a brown bear with a 9mm:

Alaska Outfitter Defends Fishermen from Raging Grizzly with 9mm Pistol

Wouldn't be my first choice, but placement and proper ammo count as much as anything else. Personally, when I carry "in the field" I carry a S&W 329 PD with hot .44 magnum loads.

I was going to ad a link to this same story.

It was all about the right bullets and shot placement.

There is no doubt a 10mm would have the right stuff if it is loaded with the right ammo and you could handle yourself. You know, not just crap yourself and freeze making yourself a grizzly snack when you face a bellowing snorting 7 ft tall 500 lb bear at 6 ft.....

A glock 40 is on my want list, its big, its bad, it hold lots of ammo and comes rod dot sight ready. I like it and think it would make a great home defense gun where you need to go big and outgun the intruder. if I lived in an area that had hogs, id hunt those with it, might work for deer also at close range. If I was planing to carry one, as in bear country, it would be the glock 20 though.

~

Last Edited:
The only use I would have for a 10mm around an angry Grizzly(or any other breed) is to put one into the head of whomever I might be with! And, I Ain't kidding. If the Bear take the bait I "might" sneak back and try for a head shot(in one ear and out of the other) on the Bear. And That would have to be the biggest/heaviest and hottest loaded round I could find.

A Double Barreled 12ga. using the proper "HOT" Slug Load would be my next choice. Presuming the Season wasn't open. If season is open: Then a modest .458 Winchester Magnum with 500ga. Soft Points would be proper!:s0014:

I want a G20 so badly it makes my stuff tingle. I lovingly fondled one yesterday. LOL!!
Apparently you need some alone time with my STI double stack 10 mm and a box or three of the good stuff, Just clean it up when yer done:D
That pistola will cure what ever ails ya, including Glockites, that burning itch in the man parts region, to rid your self of a Block the first time you handle a 1911 in 10 mm:p:p:p

Apparently you need some alone time with my STI double stack 10 mm and a box or three of the good stuff, Just clean it up when yer done:D
That pistola will cure what ever ails ya, including Glockites, that burning itch in the man parts region, to rid your self of a Block the first time you handle a 1911 in 10 mm:p:p:p

That STI makes my man parts tingle every time I look at one because I am such a die hard 1911 fanboy. If it's wasn't for the stupid new law and the glut in the market I have little doubt I would have sold some stuff by now to buy one of those. Probably good thing in a way. Almost every time I sell something to buy something else, I soon miss the stuff I sold. Always "just one more gun" :)

You need some time around a full grown male brown bear - then you would probably reconsider the use of any handgun for bear defense.

You need some time around a full grown male brown bear - then you would probably reconsider the use of any handgun for bear defense.

People packing a hand gun for a Bear problem are the same as those of us who sometimes carry a .32 or .380 or even a .22 for 2 legged. Not everyone is willing to pack a rifle or shotgun with them. Either in the city or in the woods. Chances of running into a Bear are slim if you use some common sense. Chances are good that if you do and use your head you will come away with nothing more than a great story of seeing one in the wild. If one does decide to attack the pistol you do have beats the shotgun or rifle that's back at camp or home. Just like with the 2 legged threats. The 2 legged ones are far more dangerous yet few of use will always keep a "best hand gun" with us even for them. I don't think I'm seeing anyone here suggesting they are going to hunt any Bear with one of these, especially not a member of the Brown family.

Looks like 10mm works pretty well on big animals.

Maybe he should have used the mythical 45 ACP to render the moose into pieces of beef jerky by the sheer power of John Moses Browning's fury.
My Dad lived way up in AK for about a decade after the pipeline. LOVED it. I still have the Dan Wesson .357 he bought for just this. He was fishing and a young moose started to wander to him out of curiosity. Soon here came mom charging him. He had to run out into a river. He bought the .357 with 8" tube that day. Carried it in a shoulder holster from then on. Never had to use it. He said in town around there where they lived the Moose were the thing people were very wary of much more than Bear. Damn animals were known for doing what that one did. Perceive a human as threat and charge them.

I got to agree on the 1911 type guns, I just bought my first one, a SA TRP. I could do a 1911 in 10mm but I would go for the RIA not the STI. I just looked up the STI guns and that is outa my budget range. So was the TRP I bought but when I found her I decided to "just do it". One and done...

That STI perfect 10 in hard chrome.... OMG :eek::rolleyes::)

~

I would put it like this.
If grizzly was curious about you , just sniffing around and got so close you could shoot it strait in the forehead point blank you might be fine. but if he is charging you and you need to hit a moving target odds are defiantly against you. Now if you are treed and you can shoot down on the bears spine ! but any thing short of a big bore rifle shotgun or maybe a 500 Smith n Wesson , And you are in deep dark dodo !

Let me introduce you to one of my neighbors! He gets a bit crabby if things don't go his way, but is other wise a good neighbor. Now if I were out working the gardens or around the wood piles and he decided not to be friendly any more, A 10 mm is plenty gun enough! Is it practical to carry a rifle or shot gun whilst working, No, BUT a side arm is, so that what I gots! BTW, the RCMP issues 10 mm to its deputies for dealing with polar bears, so there is that proof that the 10 is good for big aggressive bears!!! Big Colorado Grizzly.
bear.jpg
big-grizzly-bears-up.jpg

People packing a hand gun for a Bear problem are the same as those of us who sometimes carry a .32 or .380 or even a .22 for 2 legged. Not everyone is willing to pack a rifle or shotgun with them. Either in the city or in the woods. Chances of running into a Bear are slim if you use some common sense. Chances are good that if you do and use your head you will come away with nothing more than a great story of seeing one in the wild. If one does decide to attack the pistol you do have beats the shotgun or rifle that's back at camp or home. Just like with the 2 legged threats. The 2 legged ones are far more dangerous yet few of use will always keep a "best hand gun" with us even for them. I don't think I'm seeing anyone here suggesting they are going to hunt any Bear with one of these, especially not a member of the Brown family.

I totally agree. That is why I carry a 329PD and not my 460V.

I just think that one should not be overconfident when carrying any handgun as bear protection.

The only time I go into bear county is when I'm accompanied by someone who's shorter, fatter, and slower.

Those types are hard to come by these days :)

Let me introduce you to one of my neighbors! He gets a bit crabby if things don't go his way, but is other wise a good neighbor. Now if I were out working the gardens or around the wood piles and he decided not to be friendly any more, A 10 mm is plenty gun enough! Is it practical to carry a rifle or shot gun whilst working, No, BUT a side arm is, so that what I gots! BTW, the RCMP issues 10 mm to its deputies for dealing with polar bears, so there is that proof that the 10 is good for big aggressive bears!!! Big Colorado Grizzly.
View attachment 377426
View attachment 377427
Damn they are such beautiful animals!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads