JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you're going to try and stop a bear with a handgun a brain shot is your best bet, I carry a glock 20-C that will throw out a lot of 200 gr slugs on target way faster than a .44 mag with heavy loaded 300 or 320 gr slugs.
And yes I tip my hat to anyone who can stand his ground and place that one perfect shot on a charging grizzly as for me I'm putting 16 rds in the out as fast as I can.

I'm just glad to see more talk about the 10mm. For a minute, I thought it's following went silent.... I bet this guy wished he had more then his recurve...

Last Edited:
If you're going to try and stop a bear with a handgun a brain shot is your best bet, I carry a glock 20-C that will throw out a lot of 200 gr slugs on target way faster than a .44 mag with heavy loaded 300 or 320 gr slugs.
And yes I tip my hat to anyone who can stand his ground and place that one perfect shot on a charging grizzly as for me I'm putting 16 rds in the out as fast as I can.
Lol both are supersonic. Ill take way more energy. Besides, I'm a good shot with my Redhawk. Surprisingly accurate. It's what your good with that matters.

I'm just glad to see more talk about the 10mm. For a minute, I thought there it's following went silent.... I bet this guy wished he had more then his recurve...

Wow. This video is a good one. My Glock 20 or Ruger Redhawk? I know I would have drawn the second the bear moved in closer on the road. Showing no fear as it did. A split moment as it darts from the road and on to the hunter. A very short moment. I would have only got one shot off with my Redhawk. Not horrible news being that close. G20...don't know yet. Maybe three shots?

While I have spent months in Alaska (Kenai, Ketchikan, Fairbanks) and Montana and traveled through Idaho and spent time in northern WA state where there are brown bears - I never saw one. There are no brown bear in Oregon. I am not particularly worried about them.

If I were, and I wanted a high capacity firearm with enough power for a brown bear, I would probably get a .460 Rowland slide for my G21. But I am not worried about brown bears - I wasn't particularly when I was working in Alaska either. Saw lots of moose, no bears.

I still have the Barnes bear loads I bought in Alaska - they work in my 329PD - 325 gr JSP @ 1300 fps.

If I was very worried, then I have my .460 Magnum, but I would also be carrying my shotgun with slugs if I was that worried. I am not. I have black bears (and cougars) on my property from time to time - I have seen the scat not 100 feet from my house - but they have not bothered me and I don't bother them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top