JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For those of you shooting a .308 out 800yards or more, what rifle do you use?

I've been going back and forth looking at rifles to buy and just can't choose. I have a hunting rifle and wouldn't mind getting into the 600-800range with the ability to go to 1000.
I've been wanting a Savage and looking at several. Thought about buying a basic 110 or 111 and building off from that.
With a new barrel, trigger, and stock.

Any suggestions?

Ps.
Sorry for thread jacking!

i love my savage rifles. i use them for hunting.a 308 and a 300wm. a friend of mine has the new fancy lookin 10BA stealth in 6.5creed. its a joy to shoot!! he plans on it being a 1500yrd gun.

i use my DPMS Recon gen 1 LR308 to mess around shootin over 800 because of the scope i have. u wouldnt think it but that 16" barrel will do it.

I've hit an 18" steel plate at 1 km with a 1970s era 2x7 Redfield hunting scope on an M1A, with a spotter helping me. I hit it about 50% of the time, the rest was right around it (it was laying on a steep dusty hill in eastern WA) - I was prone.

I would go with the 1-2x per 100 yard rule, depending on conditions.

If you have a spotter and the target is large enough or there is dust around it to be able to correct your hold, then 1000 yards on a still day is not that hard to get near enough to be dangerous. Getting further beyond that is when it starts to get fun, and/or getting consistent groups, especially if there is wind.

For those of you shooting a .308 out 800yards or more, what rifle do you use?

I've been going back and forth looking at rifles to buy and just can't choose. I have a hunting rifle and wouldn't mind getting into the 600-800range with the ability to go to 1000.
I've been wanting a Savage and looking at several. Thought about buying a basic 110 or 111 and building off from that.
With a new barrel, trigger, and stock.

Any suggestions?

Ps.
Sorry for thread jacking!

To get a 168gr bullet to 1000y without going transonic requires a 2700fps MV. You should have a barrel longer than 20". How do I know? My 20" is hard to get to 2700fps with a high BC. All theoretical, no practical right now.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top