JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just purchased a Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Stainless and fear that with a 4 x 16 x 44 scope this puppy will reach 10 pounds plus with ammo. Myself at 160 pounds today, thinking that only benefit in carrying this puppy will be that the recoil will be lessened.

I have a Winchester Winlite 338 Win Magnum that kicks like a mule with a 4 x 12 Leopold Scope at 8.3 pounds and is a joy to carry. Any ideas on how to better manage the slight but extra weight with the Vanguard--seeming nearly 2 pounds more-but fearing it could exhaust me carrying up and down hills. The only thing that I think I can compromise on is wearing liter weight cloths and pack to lessen the difference. Any other ideas? I am 70 and very fit.

Anyone have experience carrying a 10 pound or so rifle and what do you think of this situation? Larry

I used to trek a Remington 700 Tactical in 223 around with a 20" bull barrel and a vortex 6-24x50 for coyotes. It was close to if not a little more than 10#. Hauled it around all over clear cuts.

It's not that bad with a good padded sling over the head set across the chest and no pack.

Not so fun if slung only over your shoulder with a backpack on.

I don't think it would be an issue if you had a backpack that has some sort of carrier for a rifle built in.

Bring a gun bearer :cool:. On a more serious note make sure you have a good sling to keep it from digging in to your shoulder, stop frequently and glass and look around. You will be fine, 10# is not that bad. GL

The Ruger Hawkeye African (375 Ruger) was close to 10lbs. That's with leather sling, Leupold scope, three rounds of ammo in a Hogue stock with the full length bedding block. It was kind of heavy but it never bothered me too much. On long walks I would switch carrying positions to give my hands and arms a little break, but that was the extent of it. (I rarely sling my rifle if I'm actively hunting) The extra weight did take a bunch out of the recoil.

I'm 5'9" and 160.

th?id=OIP.cB-hfNt5rYU_ZceGFfpM0QHaEJ&w=264&h=160&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

Hawken.jpg

This is my main hunting rifle...it weighs in at 10 pounds.
While many folks say it is heavy or feels "muzzle heavy"....
How this rifle "Fits" me and how I shoot , I don't see or feel it that way.

Just how a rifle fits you along with how you shoot and carry it , can play more than you think into recoil and how "heavy" it feels...
A rifle with poor balance and a stock that doesn't fit you well , will feel heavy and recoil will be felt more , than with a rifle of the same weight that has better balance and a stock that fits you.
Andy

Have the exact rifle with a vortex 4-16x44 diamondback. Doesn't seem to heavy with using a sling. I also carry and eberlestock just one pack which has a rifle pocket that I'll use if I'm just hiking in. Granted my next rifle will be the Kimber mountain ascent or subalpine...

in my tired mind tonight. I would recommend a eberlestock type pack. back in a previous life it made moving with a precision rifle easy in several different types of terrain. when you are covering ground rifle is in the internal scabbard. when pursuing game pack is on the ground and rifle in hand. the point is unless you jump something the rifle isn't in the ready position and other things are in your hand most of the time.

Outside of any modifications to the firearm, and without any sarcasm, I do have to suggest maybe getting some upper (pushups, low weight/high rep bench press) and lower body (squats w/maybe 20 pounds? Or with your rifle at home) exercises into your daily routine, just to get you used to the weight before you go out. A two pound weight difference isn't much, until it is.

Outside of any modifications to the firearm, and without any sarcasm, I do have to suggest maybe getting some upper (pushups, low weight/high rep bench press) and lower body (squats w/maybe 20 pounds? Or with your rifle at home) exercises into your daily routine, just to get you used to the weight before you go out. A two pound weight difference isn't much, until it is.

Indeed. Not saying this is the case with the OP, but too many people do nothing all year, then go out hunting with a 10 pound rifle and wonder why they a winded. Had a friend die of a heart attack doing just that.

Any other ideas? I am 70 and very fit.

Did anyone actually read the whole post or just skim it??:rolleyes:

If he is already very fit, at 70 you aren't building any extra muscle without medicinal help.

I'd go back to your lighter rifle IF you think the new one is too heavy. You probably only take one or two shots with it so I'd take the sore shoulder with meat over getting wiped out trecking more then is comfortable for you.

The packs that hold a rifle are great if your going long distance on the east side but if your pack is 20lbs then it's going up 50% to 30lbs which isn't a bunch of help unless you already carry that way.

There's really no good answer as it's a very personal choice as to what your gear choices are and are comfortable with leaving out.

Did anyone actually read the whole post or just skim it??:rolleyes:

If he is already very fit, at 70 you aren't building any extra muscle without medicinal help.

I'd go back to your lighter rifle IF you think the new one is too heavy. You probably only take one or two shots with it so I'd take the sore shoulder with meat over getting wiped out trecking more then is comfortable for you.

The packs that hold a rifle are great if your going long distance on the east side but if your pack is 20lbs then it's going up 50% to 30lbs which isn't a bunch of help unless you already carry that way.

There's really no good answer as it's a very personal choice as to what your gear choices are and are comfortable with leaving out.
Not trying to build muscle.
Just get used to carrying added weight. Like carrying a new ccw around your home to get used to it. It's sometimes just a matter of moving around a bit with the rifle to see how it moves with you, and how you may need to make adjustments to your kit before you hit the field.
That's all.

I just qualified for Medicare and have two artificial knees. My Sako 75 Hunter 7 mm with a Nightforce scope weighs in pretty much the same as your gun. I am reasonably fit as well and better after knee replacement three years ago. My pack holds about 20-25 lbs worth of gear and not going over that weight allows me to lug the rifle just fine.

Get a good sling and get a pack that carries your rifle close to your back and packing in and out will be quite doable. I bowhunt much more than I rifle hunt and I will notice the rifle's weight on long days and uphill trudges. However, my pack does most of the work, and a nice soft leather sling holding my rifle close to my body works when my pack doesn't.

First off, I have to applaud this gentleman for still getting out there and hunting elk at 70 years young. Second, I mean no disrespect by saying you don't need a 338wm or 300wm for killing any elk. I'd trade the heavy and heavy recoiling 300wm in for a real skinny 7mm08. Look into a Tikka superlite in 7mm08. This will get the job done and make it that much easier to pack around in the woods. No question about the accuracy either: You know it will shoot good.

First off, I have to applaud this gentleman for still getting out there and hunting elk at 70 years young. Second, I mean no disrespect by saying you don't need a 338wm or 300wm for killing any elk. I'd trade the heavy and heavy recoiling 300wm in for a real skinny 7mm08. Look into a Tikka superlite in 7mm08. This will get the job done and make it that much easier to pack around in the woods. No question about the accuracy either: You know it will shoot good.

7mm-08 Remington The best all-around cartridge! Reloading Data

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads