JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bring a simple cow call. Yes the rut is over but sometimes the bulls will still come in to cow call. If you haven't scouted then keep driving around till you find fresh sign and go on foot from there.

and yes its gonna be cold, the next weather system should come in during the hunt.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups in Oregon and Washington. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

1698384164477.png

Aloha, Mark

Be prepared for snow. I've awaken out there to a couple feet of new snow overnight. It's been a few years since I've hunted that unit, but when I did we saw wolves and cougars every single day. The cougars should give you a bit of pause, but the wolves were never an issue.

Neighbor unit a couple of years ago whilst deer hunting(Sept- Oct) The weather went from short sleeve attire to over six inches of snow in less than eight hours. Perfect for tracking! Don't forget your chains. its been raining on and off for some time there so most of the crunch is gone and ground just soft enough for track if no snow. And the first time in years, no restrictions on camp fires. If you wander far from camp, be sure to take a pack with essentials. Sharpen your knives & good luck.

Their odds go way down when they have to compete with everyone in the state for a tag in what is essentially their back yard.
So odd. Been hunting all over Oregon for over 35 years and always been welcomed in small towns and by locals. Grant it I've always been respectful of other hunting camps and find my own areas to hunt. I'm sure there are some selfish outsiders that just arrive and think they can hunt anywhere without respect to who got their first or whose been hunting there for years first. Maybe thats where the problems come from.

Thanks guys any other tips I leave Sunday morning we get to scout mon and tues
for fresh sign focus on areas with fresh droppings, then hike off trail into creek draws. Dont pressure them in there on the scouting days though, just poke in to check for more sign then back off till opening day.

Ideally find 3 separate spots to hunt, with 300 tags issued thats not a big unit anymore you'll probably have to drive to hunting spots from camp.

blow the cow call once an hour, you might get an answer....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top