JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I could be wrong here but, I think what the feds didn't like for pistol purchases with CPL in WA is their system was accessed at point of sale, then local PD accessed again when post-processing handgun paperwork. In other words, they were having to deal with two BG checks for every handgun purchase in WA. If that really was the case, I'd be inclined to agree it's a waste of resources. The way to have fixed that, IMO, would've been to release local PD from the NICS check since that was already done at point of sale.

Common sense though, is out of favor these days.
No matter what state you shop in the Feds have to do a check on all guns. That law went in a good while back. Then some states, like WA, also have additional wait time for more checks. OR does this through their State Patrol system. WA was told multiple times to do something like this and ignored them. Even with the wait time here and the new laws of "assault rifles", any gun you buy here the Feds have to be cleared first. The FFL does this with the 4473. They used to do it by phone. Now they do it online while you are there. They either get a "Proceed" or "Delayed" or "Denied". After you pass the Feds, then the dealer starts in on what the state wants. Typical stupid way of doing things that was yet another "compromise". The "Insta check" , which is the Fed, was another compromise. As with all gun laws many gun owners had no idea this happened for years, until they went to buy a gun. Then they of course got mad at everyone else. :s0054:

19 business days for my last, and I Mean Last, transfer of a handgun in Vancouver. I'm done. Collection complete. Will see how my willpower holds.
IF we go back to CCW same day clearance, might consider consolidating for other high end pistols.
Sounds like somebody needs a C&R license and automatic login to Simpson's Ltd.'s website. :)

No matter what state you shop in the Feds have to do a check on all guns. That law went in a good while back. Then some states, like WA, also have additional wait time for more checks. OR does this through their State Patrol system. WA was told multiple times to do something like this and ignored them. Even with the wait time here and the new laws of "assault rifles", any gun you buy here the Feds have to be cleared first. The FFL does this with the 4473. They used to do it by phone. Now they do it online while you are there. They either get a "Proceed" or "Delayed" or "Denied". After you pass the Feds, then the dealer starts in on what the state wants. Typical stupid way of doing things that was yet another "compromise". The "Insta check" , which is the Fed, was another compromise. As with all gun laws many gun owners had no idea this happened for years, until they went to buy a gun. Then they of course got mad at everyone else. :s0054:
Again, I could be wrong but, for a handgun purchase in WA at least, the FFL does NOT run a NICS BG check. I, as the buyer, still have to fill out a 4473 for the FFL's records but it is not used to contact the NICS system. The FFL sends the STATE form to the County Sheriff who, presumably, runs their version of a NICS check, as well as other checks including mental health, calling my grandmother for a references, etc.

This is no doubt why my last purchase was "Approved" rather than a "Proceed".

This is yet another prime example of why its this bad. The state used to use the Feds. Feds told them they needed to set up their own system for instant check. State ignored them. Feds finally said we are done. Before that those with a permit skipped the 10 day wait and just went strait to the Fed insta check. Gun owners here ignored what was going on and only got mad when it came time for them to buy and they "found out". This has been years now? People still "just find out" what is going on. Then wonder why we seem to always lose??:mad:
1653595698184.png

everything-is-going-according-to-plan_(1).jpg

Aloha, Mark

Again, I could be wrong but, for a handgun purchase in WA at least, the FFL does NOT run a NICS BG check. I, as the buyer, still have to fill out a 4473 for the FFL's records but it is not used to contact the NICS system. The FFL sends the STATE form to the County Sheriff who, presumably, runs their version of a NICS check, as well as other checks including mental health, calling my grandmother for a references, etc.

This is no doubt why my last purchase was "Approved" rather than a "Proceed".
Not sure when this happened then. I have never seen a gun of any kind sold here that was not run through the Feds as its a law. If they repealed this law its news to me and would come as quite a shock as Federal gun laws seem to never go away. When this law went in it was not aimed at hand guns, it was all guns. Before this on anything other than a handgun you filled out the 4473 and walked out with your gun. The law went in and for years many did not know until they went to buy some new shotgun or rifle and found out no more. If the system would not give an "OK" they could not take the gun. So did they repeal this Federal law? If so when? Has been a couple years since I bought anything so it is certainly news to me. This latest mass hate was one more example of why the Fed's system works so poorly. That shooter was checked since he ordered his guns and had them sent to an FFL. FFL ran him and got the Proceed.
If they did actually stop doing this "double check" it would make sense. Something Government seems to almost NEVER be able to do. :D

Is the wait getting any better or worse?

I have a friend in Washington who wants to buy their first firearm, a new DA/SA revolver. Are there any extra hoops that they need to jump through? Is there a handgun waiting period?

I looked up RCW 9.41.113 and see that the ten business day waiting period is only for so called "Assault Rifles" and not pistols.
The mandatory ten business day waiting period is for all semi automatic rifles. For pistols it is currently when local LE approves the delivery, or ten business days, whichever is less. Some stores have policies to hold past ten days until they get a proceed.

Is the wait getting any better or worse?

I have a friend in Washington who wants to buy their first firearm, a new DA/SA revolver. Are there any extra hoops that they need to jump through? Is there a handgun waiting period?
In WA ALL handguns will go through the extra wait. Now will it be 10 days is a no one knows. The law is the FFL has to give the state 10 Bus. days to complete the check. If the FFL had not gotten a delay or denied they "CAN" let the gun walk. Some will, many will not. Now the check may come back clear in a few days. It may also take a few weeks. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the way it goes. Often the same person will get an OK in days, then later have to wait weeks.

The only fly in the FFL ointment is that one has to be demonstrably in the "business" of dealing in firearms, or a closely related field such as repairs (gunsmithing), manufacturing etc. If memory serves, the lowest cost FFL that's of any practical use, costs $500/year. That's not bad but, once you're in business, you get to make some new best friends; in WA they live in Olympia, in OR, Salem. They may also have siblings who inhabit your county and city, all with their hands out for a cut of your hard work. And, if you say you don't have to pay them much since you really didn't make much, they'll conclude you really aren't in "business", and revoke your licenses.

Whether a FFL is a practical approach depends to some extent on how far below the gubmint radar a person can fly, and how much a zero day waiting period is worth to you. If I wasn't retired I'd probably do it out of spite.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top