JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My local FFL ( first time using them. Pawn shop) told me Vancouver PD low on staff it could take 10 days to clear. I dont ever remember it taking it this long, except for semi auto long guns? Is this the current state of transfer backlogs? This is bananas..

When doing a transfer yesterday, they said a few people walked out / quit the Department, and suggested that was the reason for the current backlog.

FWIW: Another transfer in March took about 3 weeks to clear.

RE : Low on staff

The Washington State Patrol is also facing staffing issues.

My son says that he has been trying to get an appointment (available via internet only) for an inspection, to put his "fixed/repaired" motorcycle back on the road. He doesn't want to go with a "temporary" tax and registration.

Funny (not the Ha, ha kind) that the Govt puts into place.......soooo many laws/rules. Yet, when we try to comply. Yup, we are faced with their internal problems.

i-m-from-the-government-i-m-here-to-help.png

Aloha, Mark

PS....from the WSP Web site.

Due to the State of Emergency declaration issued on February 29, 2020, by Governor Jay Inslee, the ongoing fight to reduce the impacts of the coronavirus (COVID-19), and the budget impacts of the pandemic, the Washington State Patrol Vehicle Identification Program has been impacted by mandatory temporary layoffs. As a result, customers will experience significant delays in booking appointments for VIN inspections. Please check back weekly for available appointments. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.

The Washington State Patrol performs physical inspections on vehicles that have been rebuilt after being destroyed or declared a total loss by an insurance company. We also will perform physical inspections as required on vehicles reported stolen, homemade vehicles, other vehicles without a proper VIN, or other special cases.

Last Edited:
RE : Low on staff

The Washington State Patrol is also facing staffing issues.

My son says that he has been trying to get an appointment (available via internet only) for an inspection, to put his "fixed/repaired" motorcycle back on the road. He doesn't want to go with a "temporary" tax and registration.

Funny (not the Ha, ha kind) that the Govt puts into place.......soooo many laws/rules. Yet, when we try to comply. Yup, we are faced with their internal problems.

View attachment 1198211

Aloha, Mark

PS....from the WSP Web site.

Sounds about right. It's amazing they have these " staffing issues" when Vancouver has a 8.5% tax rate.. Tons of pot holes on the streets 🙄

Then you look across the Columbia near the I5 Bridge, two sunken WW2 era Coast Guard ships left to rot. Not " enough funding" to tow the vessels to be scrapped, even though there's tons of dry docks in the area.

Can't make this stuff up.. 😂

Remember the FFL can release the firearm to the customer after 10 business days per state law, unless the ffl has notification of further review by law enforcement. Then it can take up to 30 days.

I heard the other day the state is considering using the CPL as a background again due to shortages in staff at law enforcement agencies. I heard this from the rumor mill from a friend who is a ffl.

Remember the FFL can release the firearm to the customer after 10 business days per state law, unless the ffl has notification of further review by law enforcement. Then it can take up to 30 days.

I heard the other day the state is considering using the CPL as a background again due to shortages in staff at law enforcement agencies. I heard this from the rumor mill from a friend who is a ffl.
If the WSP does not have its centralized background check running by June 30, 2022, then the law that required CPLs to wait for approval or 10 days sunsets, and we go back to the 2018 system for CPL holders.

Quote:
My local FFL ( first time using them. Pawn shop) told me Vancouver PD low on staff it could take 10 days to clear. I dont ever remember it taking it this long, except for semi auto long guns? Is this the current state of transfer backlogs? This is bananas..

This is yet another prime example of why its this bad. The state used to use the Feds. Feds told them they needed to set up their own system for instant check. State ignored them. Feds finally said we are done. Before that those with a permit skipped the 10 day wait and just went strait to the Fed insta check. Gun owners here ignored what was going on and only got mad when it came time for them to buy and they "found out". This has been years now? People still "just find out" what is going on. Then wonder why we seem to always lose??:mad:

Quote:

This is yet another prime example of why its this bad. The state used to use the Feds. Feds told them they needed to set up their own system for instant check. State ignored them. Feds finally said we are done. Before that those with a permit skipped the 10 day wait and just went strait to the Fed insta check. Gun owners here ignored what was going on and only got mad when it came time for them to buy and they "found out". This has been years now? People still "just find out" what is going on. Then wonder why we seem to always lose??:mad:

Interesting. I have a CPL and would prefer doing the old system via the Fed NCIC. I've always gone to a different FFL ( Arms Tek) in Vancouver. Great guy home based FFL. No issues. I think hes no longer doing transfers.

Most recent purchases, bolt gun and pistol. Pistol cleared in less than a week, bolt gun still delayed for further review.
As I bought them both same day same place, I'm just waiting to pick up whenever.

Working as intended…

My last pistol transaction at my new FFL was a 3 business day turnaround with CPL provided. 1 month prior it was 11 days at my prior FFL. They called and told me to just come get it since I've been a regular in there for years and knew it would go through any day. I just miss the same day purchase and leave with it. What was weird is the "go ahead" to release my latest purchase went through at 3:30am. The new FFL had never seen that before hence why he mentioned that when I went in. Strange State we live in!

Quote:

I could be wrong here but, I think what the feds didn't like for pistol purchases with CPL in WA is their system was accessed at point of sale, then local PD accessed again when post-processing handgun paperwork. In other words, they were having to deal with two BG checks for every handgun purchase in WA. If that really was the case, I'd be inclined to agree it's a waste of resources. The way to have fixed that, IMO, would've been to release local PD from the NICS check since that was already done at point of sale.

Common sense though, is out of favor these days.

The turnaround was 13 days on my latest pistol transfer. They did explain recently some poor soul had his paperwork sent in, and they lost it. After resubmitting it, all said and done it came in at 30 days.

19 business days for my last, and I Mean Last, transfer of a handgun in Vancouver. I'm done. Collection complete. Will see how my willpower holds.
IF we go back to CCW same day clearance, might consider consolidating for other high end pistols.

I just purchased an old single action .22 from Tropics in Orchards and I fully expect it will take the full ten days if not longer. It's absurd.
I just cleared at Vancouver "Americas pawn". I know its not their fault, but they got argumentative about releasing it when you cite the RCW 941. 092 about the 10 days. It took 11 Business days total. Vancouver PD wasn't much help either when I called to check up. The whole system is garbage. It's appalling the tax rate here is like 8.5% lol

You'd think with a CPL the process would be expedited.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top