JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last time I took out my Ruger 10/22 carbine, I had several jamming issues. It seemed to fail to eject a few rounds. Most of the rounds failed to eject with one particular magazine, so that may be the issue. However, feeding did not seem to be an issue and the bolt cycles perfectly. I may just need to clean the extractor.
I'm fairly certain it's an extractor issue, mostly because I had a FTE and the carbine still cycled with a case stuck in the receiver.
How do you make your .22 semiautos more reliable?

My observation on 10/22s is to make 'em reliable, DO NOT MESS WITH THEM.
I've known more than a few spend hundreds of $$$ to make them look different and work less well.
Sometimes magazines do need a little TLC.

Here's a stock extractor (bottom) compared to a KIDD (top):

2E9AD7BC-DBB1-4EEE-B1F8-FDA547DB1B92.jpeg

Now, I've run a stock Ruger and a KIDD and have no issues with either regarding extracting. I have had issues feeding but found them to be magazine related.

Last time I took out my Ruger 10/22 carbine, I had several jamming issues. It seemed to fail to eject a few rounds. Most of the rounds failed to eject with one particular magazine, so that may be the issue. However, feeding did not seem to be an issue and the bolt cycles perfectly. I may just need to clean the extractor.
I'm fairly certain it's an extractor issue, mostly because I had a FTE and the carbine still cycled with a case stuck in the receiver.
Since you have tried multiple mags, that is the first thing, the next for me is always what ammo? If you have not tried a few, do so. The extractor is VERY often the culprit with the Ruger .22 auto's. That would be a good next try.This is assuming its had a good cleaning? .22 ammo all seems to run dirty. Take a brush to the bolt and make sure no crud is under and around the extractor first.

My observation on 10/22s is to make 'em reliable, DO NOT MESS WITH THEM.
I've known more than a few spend hundreds of $$$ to make them look different and work less well.
Sometimes magazines do need a little TLC.
I find the extractor to be absolutely worth it. It was very useful making my charger more reliable. While my charger has a red chassis, other than the extractor and a padded buffer to help the with action noise, the internals are stock.

Get an upgraded extractor, AFTER you clean the current one really well and scrape any carbon build up that collects on the face of the bolt and see if that helps.

Get an upgraded extractor, AFTER you clean the current one really well and scrape any carbon build up that collects on the face of the bolt and see if that helps.
My previous ejector after cleaning showed wear when I replaced mine. I am actually really wondering about polishing the inside of the receiver in one to see if it aids in cleaning out carbon.

My previous ejector after cleaning showed wear when I replaced mine. I am actually really wondering about polishing the inside of the receiver in one to see if it aids in cleaning out carbon.
Not really, I've done it on one before.

Best to just shoot it, clean it, repeat. Things that need to smooth out, do so after a few thousand rounds.

Not really, I've done it on one before.

Best to just shoot it, clean it, repeat. Things that need to smooth out, do so after a few thousand rounds.
Hey I have one 10/22 that's 26 years since I bought it. And the charger well, I don't know how many thousand rounds it has had. Runs like a champ. The 26 year old? Needs a new extractor. In all fairness its had 10s of thousands of rounds through it.

I about took a chop saw to our 10/22, then I started shooting CCI minimags exclusively. The FTF/FTE issues disappeared immediately. Edited to add: I'm running a green mountain fluted bull barrel 16.25"

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews