JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody have or have had a P38 with jamming issues. This is a gin my day had forever and Ive had for the last 12 years I ran multiple different brands and grains of ammo through it but it still jams once or twice every mag.

I read its ammo finicky but I think it just might be because of old mags possibly losing spring tension.

Ive cleaned it many times and it all seems well

Thoughts or ideas?

I have owned/own may P-38 and P-1's. They are very reliable and almost never have issues with "jamming". The occasional stove pipe with ammo that is to hot has happened but very rarely. Not very picky on ammo as it is a Military Weapon and they need to eat everything they are fed!

I would take it to a gunsmith to figure out what is going on.

I also own one. A commercial post war example. But, I admit that I've never fired it.

If I were you.....
Assuming it's in good condition (no worn/missing parts or broken or metal burrs etc...) and assembled and lubed correctly.....
I'd try switching magazines, with someone else.
Then, also try an ammo switch (hotter rounds).

Aloha, Mark

PS....A "field strip" is usually good enough for me. So then, I wouldn't. But it's.....Up To You.

or

Last Edited:
I heard they were designed for the hot military rounds used back then, ie nato levels at least. Commercial ammo isn't as hot as nato ammunition.

I heard they were designed for the hot military rounds used back then, ie nato levels at least. Commercial ammo isn't as hot as nato ammunition.
^^This. Have you tried 124gr ammo? Some of those old German pistols will not cycle 115gr reliably.

The other thing I can think of is maybe the extractor assembly is dirty. I just went through this problem w/ a Beretta, which is similar to the P38.

I also own one. A commercial post war example. But, I admit that I've never fired it.

If I were you.....
Assuming it's in good condition (no worn/missing parts or broken or metal burrs etc...) and assembled and lubed correctly.....
I'd try switching magazines, with someone else.
Then, also try an ammo switch (hotter rounds).

Aloha, Mark

PS....A "field strip" is usually good enough for me. So then, I wouldn't. But it's.....Up To You.

or

Yeah, I never shot my Walther P38 either or even field strip or disassembled it. I just got it as a collectible. Now that you posted Youtube video, I will try to field-strip it and give it a good cleaning.

Anybody have or have had a P38 with jamming issues. This is a gin my day had forever and Ive had for the last 12 years I ran multiple different brands and grains of ammo through it but it still jams once or twice every mag.

I read its ammo finicky but I think it just might be because of old mags possibly losing spring tension.

Thoughts or ideas?
Hello,

What is the nature of the malfunction you're experiencing? Is it a failure to feed or a failure to extract/eject? Those locking block pistols are interesting and sometimes finicky, but they can be made to run on most ammo just fine.

Let us know, and if you have the ability to post pics (even with a phone set on "macro,") it will probably be helpful going forward.

Regards,

Josh

Last Edited:
Hello,

What is the nature of the malfunction you're experiencing? Is it a failure to feed or a failure to extract/eject? Those locking block pistols are interesting and sometimes finicky, but they can be made to run on most ammo just fine.

Let us know, and if you have the ability to post pics (even with a phone set on "macro,") it will probably be helpful going forward.

Regards,

Josh
Its actually a feeding issue. No pics of feed malfunction but whdn I shoot it next time I will take one. Bullet ends up lead up between slide and barrel with barrel closed against brass.

Thoughts or ideas?
It's either your Buffer springs or finally wearing out, Or your live round Indicator Is not slipping into position

Its actually a feeding issue. No pics of feed malfunction but whdn I shoot it next time I will take one. Bullet ends up lead up between slide and barrel with barrel closed against brass.
Does the chamber indicator move freely? I don't recall exactly how it works on this pistol, but doesn't a rod protrude into the chamber and push out the back of the slide when the chamber is loaded?

If this is correct, does the rear of the round get stuck under the chamber indicator?

Does this occur earlier or later in the magazine?

Pending answers and pics, I'm leaning toward worn feed lips.

I inherited mt Dad's p38, but have not shot it yet. I bought replacement parts and a spring set for it, even though it seems to function fine (empty).

When I get time, I will replace small parts and springs - then I will shoot it. The magazines seem fine and ejection works smoothly.