JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone here have a Ruger PCC 9mm carbine?

I picked one up recently, and it's a bit of a jam-o-matic, stovepipes maybe 10%.

I've searched online and it seems to be a fairly common problem, and most advice centers around the ejector. I've tried a few things to no avail.

I don't have time to get into the details right now of the parts, mags, ammo, etc., just curious if anyone else here has had issues with a PCC.

At this point I am not particularly impressed. I bought it just for something fun to shoot at the range. I have a Kel-Tek Sub2000 that's been very reliable, but because of it's ergonomic deficiencies it's not a lot of fun to shoot. The Ruger is far more ergonomic, but so far reliability is lousy.

There's a live round halfway in the chamber, and an empty stove-piped beside it.

I've read a few other places online where others have had the exact same problem, and a couple fixes where they've had varying degrees of success. I'm sure I'll figure it out and eventually get it working right. It's just a little frustrating.

I read that also, and bought one anyway. Haven't had a chance to try it out though, only just now took it out of the box.
Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to run some different types through it and let you know how it goes.

20230319_175608.png

I bought the original model (19100) a few years back and I have not had an issues with it. It does seem to like Blazer 124gr the best. My wife liked it so much she bought her own with the Magpul Backpacker stock (19105). I ended up putting a TandemKross Upriser stock on mine a couple months ago.

Also, I am using the Glock mag well and added black Gorilla tape on the sides of the mag well to keep it from rattling (on the outside of the mag well such that it touches the frame). This stabilizes the magazines during operation.

There are a lot of aftermarket upgrades for the PC Carbine at mcarbo.com

Last Edited:
It's a new gun, still under warranty, presumably. Call Ruger customer service, they will send you a prepaid shipping label back to the factory. 98% chance they can get it straightened out. When they are originally made en mass, they don't get anywhere near the attention one will get individually on a warranty bench. They will go over the entire gun and get it right. Years ago, I had a PC4, it wouldn't shoot lead bullet loads reliably. I sent it back; when it returned from warranty work at the factory, it would shoot anything.

I've got a couple of these, and more of the earlier PC9's and PC4's. I don't know if I've ever had a failure with any of them.

That said, I can only speculate why yours is not running. And my speculation centers around the extractor, or maybe the industrial grade KY Jelly slowing things down. I wish I could take a look. Otherwise, send it back to Ruger, on their dime.

.:s0130:

Last Edited:
Have had mine a few years now and can't recall any problems. FYI the only ammo I run is what I reload and it tends to be on the weak side using coated 124gr round nose; they also are on the low end of COAL so it will run in all my 9's.

I bought mine soon after they hit has been 100% from day one with glock mags. I was leery at first due to Hickock45 having issues with the one they sent him he was not able to get cleared. Hopefully you can get it running right. By now there must be a ton of video's of them and common ideas to give a try to.

If new then maybe it needs some factory grease cleaned off?

I have the basic model and it has been very dependable so far. But I *will* get the mcarbo "Ruger PC Carbine Exact Edge Extractor" if mine starts to show any extraction issues. I read about that issue and did look closely at my extractor. It looked OK so far but I will be getting that upgrade if I start to have issues or start to see clear indication of the part wearing too much.

just curious if anyone else here has had issues with a PCC.
Well, I did with mine when new, and reported on it but it was ENTIRELY my own fault.

Did you clean your PCC before shooting? If not you need to do so. They use some kind 0f 75-90 oil in them applied pretty heavily and it will cause problems if you do not clean it THOROUGHLY.

I took mine out shooting immediately after picking it up and had a myriad of problems but after cleaning 100% reliability.

Got mine new when this model first came out 5-6 years ago. Feed it exclusively reloads, mostly coated lead bullets, from day 1, including a variety of bullet weights, powders, and primers. The only problem I had, which was rare when I first got it, was an occasional failure to ignite a chambered round, and then it not wanting to extract that round when pulling the bolt back. I think, in all occurrences, after letting the bolt close again on the chambered round that didn't initially fire or extract, it worked on the 2nd try.

I have since not had an issue, after subsequent cleanings, and use, Including supplied Ruger mag, factory and aftermarket Glock mags. I'd estimate between 500 and 1000 rounds through the gun. I did disassemble and clean it before its first use, but maybe there was some heavier oil as RVTech mentioned that was initially causing issue. I figured the occasional early issues were maybe ammo related. From day 1, I've been impressed with the gun's accuracy. And it runs good.

The rare occasion I've had a problem with a Ruger, they have taken care of the issue for me. If it's giving you troubles you can't easily fix/figure out, I would contact them, and expect they will do the same for you.

I found early on with mine, while playing in speed games with it....they do not like stuffed to the top mags slammed home on a closed bolt. Bends the ejector on the snap in mag well adaptor. easy to bend back.
now I run extended glock/ets mags and place them and then close the bolt. never been an issue since. YMMV.

I've had it completely apart, inspected and cleaned it thoroughly. I've been shooting a variety of leftover ammo in it, reloads of different types that all function well in my pistols.

I wasn't impressed with the accuracy- palm-sized groups at 25 yards, but then I figured it might have something to do with the leftover bullets I was using in that magazine. I have some old Speer Gold Dot +p ammo that I've had laying around for many years, figured I'd try some quality ammo for accuracy. Big improvement- nice clover-leaf groups at 25 yards!

I'm not terribly concerned with the jamming issue. It's good to hear that most people have good reliability with them. It's a pretty simple gun; I figured it was either the extractor or ejector. This particular failure type makes me think I should take a close look at the extractor next.

Probably can't help OP.
Got the original PC9 when they came out in the early 1990s. (Serial # under 1000) Wonder if Ruger now calls it the "old model"?
It's been basicly 100% all these years.
A real PITA to clean however; some of the internal parts (bolt charging knob and it's spring, and barrel-to-stock spacer) are uncaptured, so you have to get real creative when re-assembling the rifle.
It causes Tourette's syndrome. So it only gets dis-assembled when it's caked with carbon.
Are the new model PC9s improved in this regard?

There's a live round halfway in the chamber, and an empty stove-piped beside it.

I've read a few other places online where others have had the exact same problem, and a couple fixes where they've had varying degrees of success. I'm sure I'll figure it out and eventually get it working right. It's just a little frustrating.
Weight of bullet? Semis behave differently with different bullet weights and loads, so you may have to try lighter or even heavier bullets, or different loads within the bullet weight you are shooting. The slide is picking up a new round, but perhaps not traveling rearward sufficiently to fully clear the empty. Anyway, an email to Ruger customer service will def net you some good info.

Probably can't help OP.
Got the original PC9 when they came out in the early 1990s. (Serial # under 1000) Wonder if Ruger now calls it the "old model"?
It's been basicly 100% all these years.
A real PITA to clean however; some of the internal parts (bolt charging knob and it's spring, and barrel-to-stock spacer) are uncaptured, so you have to get real creative when re-assembling the rifle.
It causes Tourette's syndrome. So it only gets dis-assembled when it's caked with carbon.
Are the new model PC9s improved in this regard?
Yes BUT, you have to be careful when you have it apart. The bolt assembly is made to come apart without tools. Soon after I got mine I was standing outside spraying the bolt with cleaner and squeezed it just right to make it come apart in my hand. One small piece went flying. By sheer luck I saw it hit the grass. Took the parts back in the house and had to open the exploded diagram to see how it went back together. So yes they are simple to take apart just almost too simple :D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads