Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

10/22 Iron Sights for a picky shooter

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Blowgunner, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Blowgunner

Blowgunner Tanasbourne Active Member

Alright, I want to build a 10/22. I already have a scoped 10/22 Charger, but want an open sighted rifle for this seasons varmint shoots. The factory Iron sights leave a lot to be desired on the stock 10/22. I've seen the Tech sights, and so forth, that mount to the top of the reciever. The only problem I have with those is asthetics. I dont mind the way they look, but dont like the fact that you either have to leave your old rear sight on, or remove it and have a open dovetail. Either way, that looks like crap to me. So, I guess What im trying to find, is a good set of adjustable iron sights that fit into the stock location, OR iron sights that will fit a bull barrel variation that didnt come with iron sights at all.
    Anyone want to help a picky shooter? :thumbup:

2. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

check out the gi sights they are similar to m1 carbines

3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Brownells sells dovetail plugs that fill in the slot.

4. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Mill a bull barrel for a front sight. 2x problems solved.

5. Blowgunner

Dont those mount to the reciever?

Ive seen the plugs. Not a big fan of that either. Would rather put a sight there, or not have anything there at all.

I Like that idea! Approx, what would a gunsmith charge for something like that?

6. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

Williams makes a reciever sight, not a lot of elevation adjustment though. a shorty ramp base and hooded front will work for the front. Putting a "circle in a circle" and the target in the middle works amazingly well.

7. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Probably less than an hour of machine time. I would probably say $40 or less.

8. Zepoll

Zepoll Keizer Active Member

9. Mutt

Mutt Washington, Kitsap County Member

Use fire sights on a stock barrel. They fit into the stock sight slots and the fiber optics make them 100% easier to see. I have them on all my 22's.

10. Blowgunner

Thos seem to be my options right now. Just need to decide which way i want to go.