JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Along with some usual-for-the-lot (old brown box Remmies from CMP) with fail-to-fire even with deep/multiple firing pin strikes (not too concerned, it happens regardless of firearm type and I'm on the bottom 1/2 of the case lot) there's a different emerging otherwise failures. This small handful is from 2 different 10/22s and multiple magazines both Dx and rotary 10-OEM.

had a series of feeding jams yesterday with 10/22.....rifle is clean and otherwise operating as designed; out of about 300 rounds here are some that were misbehaving:

upload_2018-3-22_11-9-16.jpeg

I noticed after the .22 shortage when I started shooting crap ammo in my 10/22 it got to the point where I just could not shoot it anymore because it got filthy too quickly and jammed the HP rounds like yours.

I've been meaning to take it out and run minimags and stingers to see if the same happens, because I seem to remember not having those problems in the past with minimags and stingers.

Pretty typical for a 10/22 in my experience...I love them and shoot mine a TON. Just nature of the beast, me thinks.

I have found that a few simple upgrades help tremendously, mostly the extractor and bolt buffer. Upgraded guide rod and springs can also bring improvements. I really like and use KIDD Innovative Designs on my 10/22s.

Also, sometimes a little residue can build up on the feeding ramp of the mags, I like to take a cotton swab with a tiny bit of Hoppe's #9 to it to keep em' running smooth, just don't let it get inside the rotary

IMHO......
Clean (and properly lube) your rifle and magazines.

Then.....
Know that......not all 22LR ammo is the same. Some will have feeding issues and ignition issues. Choose your ammo wisely. In the end, you might just choose to use only a couple of select brands. Mark your magazines. You might notice that issues seem to occur with only certain magazines.

Even with a bolt action rifle I'll sometimes have feeding and ignition issues with ammo that is perfectly fine with my Ruger 10/22.

Aloha, Mark

Last one......."issues."

Last Edited:
Usually those type of jams are dirty mag related.

I am lazy and wait till I start getting a jam per magazine loading to clean my mags. However cleaning your 10/22 every outing is a must. Especially since I usually put at least one brick of ammo through it each time out.

great videos; thanks
gun is clean
mags are clean
some are new
sudden onset

will be delving further into the mysterious 'gynechiatry of 10/22s' as this represents more failure issues in one brief range session than I've had in decades combined.

Consider examining your chamber. Some chambers will not accept certain ammo. Case length is not always the same. Also look to see if your extractor is leaving a gouge and raised material inside the chamber wall.

As an example our SBR Ruger 10-22 employs a Green Mountain Stainless Steel 8" barrel with a 1X9 twist with a Bentz Chamber. Not quite sure what that means only that CCI Stinger ammo will not feed or work at all. :(

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And BATFE and NFA Laws And Rules Apply.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top