JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When you pull the bolt out look on the three rings;

Make sure the "openings" are not lined up.
Make sure they are not warped/flattened/overlapping.
Make sure they move somewhat freely (not stuck together).

I had this same issue with my Ruger AR 556 while shooting PMC Bronze in .223... I had similar issues with the first few rounds of Federal Premium American Eagle 5.56 55gr... after two thorough cleanings and about 200 rounds it works fine. Put a lot more oil on it than I did the first time out, which helped. I'm assuming that it just needed to be broken in, as it's a semiauto. I'll try shooting the rest of my PMC this weekend, I have been neglecting it since I had better luck with the American Eagle. The USGI steel mags also fed more reliably than PMags, in my case. What is funny is how well Roller Mags worked, they're pretty reliable and almost on par with the USGI mags (sometimes better).

Maybe you just need a good cleaning and a few hundred rounds down range?
I know how annoying this issue is....

Does it lock back 100% of the time if you load and fire 1 round? If it doesn't, then it's short stroking, and you need to look at the gas and buffer system for an issue. If it does, then it's a feeding issue and different ammo/mag combinations can probably fix it.

it's a CBC from Aim Surplus.

it's been back for repair once, for the gas block.

I'm taking it out this weekend. I'll put another 200 or so thru it... May just need a break in.

Had this happen on an Oly Arms carbine I bought 30 odd years ago. Never did figure it out even after a few trips to a very good smith. The way I finally fixed it was to strip the lower completely then took my rosebud and melted it down to a nice sized paperweight that's been on my desk ever since..
Not saying to go that route, just that I feel your pain;)

Like other's have said already,start simple and work up one at a time. Mag, ammo, gas block/rings/key.
In case you're wondering, at 54 I have learned much more patience than I had back then:D

Well.........

I took it out and it didnt give me a single issue. I put about 200 thru it. Various ammo used, tried each of my mags...

Slow fire while sighting in the scope up to full on mag dumps... ate it right up.

Maybe just needed a little break in? I was running it pretty wet just in case. Ill scale back the lube next time and see if I can get away with it. It was like shooting an SKS thats still full of cosmoline.

Still good fun, especially when hitting a 8" steel gong at 50yds pretty consistently out of that 10.5" bbl

I'm new to this forum, but this is not new to AR owners and builders
I've sprung a half dozen ARs and it looks like your action spring is not strong enough or your rifle is overgassed
what action spring are you using?
what is the diamerter of your gas port (your builder should be able to tell you this)
what weight buffer?
what ammo?
this can be caused if your recycle gas pressure is too high, resulting in over acceleration of the bolt to the rear, which bounces off the rear and rebounds too fast to completely pick up the next round
I can reproduce this with my variable gas AR by opening up the gas block too far
all my builts us a Tubb flat wire spring with an H2 buffer
it takes a well tuned AR to fire all ammo such as 5.56, .223, hot IMI and low power Wolf
I"m not a certified AR gunsmith -just an experienced AR builder

RJMT

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews