JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, I built a new AR15 from parts kit. I got the kit and parts from different places. I put it together and it all seems to work correctly. But when I try it with live ammo, it malfunctions. It seems that when the bolt comes forward and strips off a round from the magazine, the bold turns very slightly as it does this. When it slams shut, the splines of the bolt don't mesh with the slots in the barrel. What causes this? I've polished the feed ramp, I've tried new and different magazines, I've dried different bolts and even whole bolt assemblies and it is always the same... any ideas?
Ar trouble.jpg

Ar trouble.jpg

Best guess is barrel not headspaced properly. The barrel/chamber has to be screwed in just the right amount in order for the cartridge headspace to be within spec. If this wasn't done correctly it could affect the position of the chamber grooves that mate with the the protrusions on the rotating bolt head. How did you adjust the headspace on this firearm when you built it?

Trying to research this a bit suggests headspacing is normally a fairly complicated exercise with the AR 15 and is normally done by manufacturers (involves some milling). If you buy your bolt and barrel from the same place they will usually make sure the two are properly headspaced. I surmise if you go with different manufacturers for these critical parts, you could end up with improper headspace.

If we're just taking WAGs, I'd find a set of GO/NO-GO gauges, whether borrowing from someone on here or checking in at your local LGS or gunsmith and check that for good measure. If ok, try some different ammo, if not, time to send it back assuming you weren't the one to headspace the extension to the barrel.

Your bbl extension does have the pin in it? And are the lugs on your bolt well lubed? New builds sometimes need to be worked a little with grease or lapping compound. Or did you buy a barrel that is actually short chambered and it needs to be finished reamed...
barrel ex.jpg

barrel ex.jpg

Hey, I've never screwed one a those together but "headspace" proper is disparate from how the "lugs" wind up being.. or want to wind up being, meaning the both are connected, especially upon (hopefully) "functioning".. anyway good luck

I had a similar issue. The problem turned out to be that the slot to receive the barrel nipple was too wide and the barrel canted in the slot. Could be that your barrel is canted to one side.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top